GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to my go-to farm a couple of days ago for a quick hunt and crossed a big one off of my list. Had I realized that I'd be getting a week of sub-zero weather, the hunt would have been much longer... but I was happy after finding my first love token! :hello2:

Other permissions may yield more finds, but this place has been good to me with the old stuff. The dying/dead clover and grass opened up a few spots that weren't cut this year. I see a couple of rainy days up ahead that will allow me to get out again. Hopefully I can sniff out a few more, if there's any left...

LC, 1955 dime, a dress weight? and a couple of buttons

2014_11_21_16_27_02.jpg

Holed 1856 Seated Liberty Love Token! One of the holes looks to have been filled with another piece of silver. I do like the Greek Key around the "L". :tongue3: I also cringe at the thought that it could have had an "S" mint mark on the reverse, but I highly doubt it. It shall remain a mystery.

2014_11_21_16_11_37.jpg

2014_11_21_16_11_20.jpg

Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Upvote 25

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mason Jarr

Nov 23, 2012
Southwest Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It almost looks like the back part was laminated onto the dime and soldered. What are those little tabs that look like they wrap around the edge of the coin? If it's laminated, you might be able to separate them and still have the dime.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It almost looks like the back part was laminated onto the dime and soldered. What are those little tabs that look like they wrap around the edge of the coin? If it's laminated, you might be able to separate them and still have the dime.

Good eye. As far as I can tell the other side was worn down and then stamped or etched. I do see those soldered tabs, but it doesn't look like I can separate them.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stunning find bro!! Way up there on the wish list. Glad you found it...could not have happened to a more deserving guy!

Thanks, man! :)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good Gio, that's a great love token!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find there…not just silver but 2 in 1! great saves…getting very cold the last few days but I'm going to brave the elements again tomorrow…as the ground is still penetrable…hopefully enough for a post and some nice old iron to throw back at IP...

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find, Gio. Stuff like this is what I love the most about detecting. Why, I'd rather have one of those than a 1944 Steel Cent... I'm lying. :tongue3:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havent seen a love token like that...great find...congrats.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obervations for discussion:

The 'L' is a variant on the 'Old English Script' type - seems to have a slight modern twist, which could imply a post 1900 construction date. Also the Greek Key was popular in the Art Deco period - circa 1920s

The design appears to be stamped/punched from a die, also suggests a post Victorian date. This suggests that the process could be repeated. It might also mean the artisan, had a full set of 'letter' punches. So people could commission various combinations of bespoke 'off the shelf' options.

It was thought worthy of re-use, after the initial commission. Problem is the order of reuse;
2 solder points on side of coin
2 holes top & bottom
Issue - the final hole left open would leave the 'L' the wrong way up on a Pendant - why?
If it were a 2 hole start for a bracelet, when changing to a pendant, why make it up-side-down.
The order that makes the most sense is;
1 hole at top, to make the seated lady the correct way up, as well as the 'L' - This seems deliberate.
Then they changed the pendants use, to incorporate it into some other type of jewelry (like a chatelaine), filled the top hole, made the bottom whilst making 2 more fixing spots on the top where the solder marks are. Making a new 3 point fixing pattern.

If we also assume the date is important, coins with Birth Years are still popular, then the commission date of circa 1920 would make the gift to a loved one of 70ish. Some old Granny with the name of 'L'oiuse? lol

Maybe over thinking this one, but if it were a gift to an older lady, the re-use could happen with her Daughter after her death??

Makes sense?

Last edited:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love seeing the love tokens.

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes sense to me, Crusader!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of the coolest love tokens I've ever seen, alot of intricate detail went into that one!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, a dress weight and a "L" for LOVE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread