Seeking info on a wreck my dad explored in Chile (PICS)

greatwun

Feb 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello guys, I'm posting this thread in order see if anyone can help me gather some info. Back around the late 1970's or 1980's (Dad has a horrible memory) my dad's friend found a wreck some yards from the port in Pisagua, Chile. From what my dad tells me it was a British sail ship probably from the late 1800s or early 1900s. He got some nice stuff from this wreck including some ceramic ware, glass bottles and ship window (sorry I'm not very good with my boat terminology). After exploring the wreck he never went back to it and never bothered to research the ship. Below is a picture from Google Earth on an approximation of where the wreck is from the port. He says that the wreck was in about 30 meters of water. Also the port has been used for transporting nitrate from the country ever since the early 1800s. I tried looking at the ceramic ware and here is what I found:

- Only two items have any logos on them.

- Pictures #7 & #8 are of the same ceramic plate and have a hallmark that says "W.H. Grindley & Co England" and the plate is also stamped with the number "56". I googled WH Grindley Co and the company was founded it 1880 so the wreck must be from after that year.

Pictures #9 & #10 are of the same ceramic piece and there is a logo on the center of the plate that almost looks like a watermark and says "Thomas Law & Co "Shire" Line". Thomas Law & Co was a ship company and the "Shire" I think was a line of ships. So I found the following page on google that shows the wrecks from Thomas Law & Co but there seems to be no wrecks that happened off the coast of Chile. Law Thomas & Co. - Shire Line Glasgow - WRECK WRAK EPAVE WRACK PECIO

I also tried searching for wrecks off the coast of Chile but there are none that have been reported near the port of Pisagua or at least none that show up on google.

We moved to the U.S. back in 1990 and since then my dad doesn't have friends that still live in Pisagua that he could contact to find information. We lived in Arica, Chile but mon-fri he work in Pisagua in the port. He has a diving buddy in Arica that said he would find some info but hasn't yet.

Any information that you guys could give me to point me in the right direction would greatly be appreciated. Thank you guys for your time!

unknown wreck.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Attachments

• unknownwreck_zps14c29a3f.jpg
    unknownwreck_zps14c29a3f.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 98

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Sounds almost like it could be the British barque Ross-Shire. She was owned by the Thomas Law & Company - Shire Line and sank off Pisagus in 1900.

OP
OP
greatwun

greatwun

Feb 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow looks like you've IDed the wreck. I must have over looked that page when I saw it did not have a map of the location. Seems to be the only one that sank near the city.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread