Semper Fidelis to those who fought and died on Iwo Jima

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
February 19th is a day few Americans are thinking about as one of significance. However, for a few remaining warriors, it is a day they shall never forget.

Sixty-nine years ago, US Marines hit the volcanic beaches of an island in the Pacific called Iwo Jima. It was part of a month-long assault by 30,000 Marines as part of Operation Detachment. The goal was to capture the island and secure its three airfields which could be used to stage the coming assault against mainland Japan.

This was the first American attack on Japanese territory and the enemy soldiers and marines defended their positions with no thought of surrender. The battle for Iwo Jima was the only conflict fought by the U.S. Marine Corps where there were more American casualties than Japanese. However, the overall Japanese casualties were very high during Operation Detachment. Of the 22,000 Japanese soldiers at its start, only 216 were taken prisoner.

There are very few Iwo Jima veterans remaining. If you are so blessed and fortunate to know one, please tell him from me, thank you. If nothing else, take the time this day to sit with your children and grandchildren and tell them the story.

Semper Fidelis to those who fought and died on Iwo Jima, those men of the “Greatest Generation.”

--Allen West

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
My first father-in-law (USMC - 5th Division) survived Iwo (died a few years, ago)... HOWEVER! Family did NOTHING on Feb. 19th, as it was HIS day to remember & morn "the dead"; he would grab his rifle and go hunting ****... showing ALL signs of PTSD; HIGHLY "excited", hyper... WHOO! Read Richard Wheeler's book on Iwo, to try to understand what was happening. Will donate his Jap Flag, with Jap writings to local Marines, when their HQ for USMC Vets is completed (ALL volunteers builders - Marines).

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fighting soldiers from the sky
Fearless men who jump and die
Men who mean just what they say
The brave men of the Green Beret

Silver wings upon their chest,
These are men
America's best
100 men test today
Only 3 win the Green Beret

Trained to live of Nature's land
Trained in combat
Hand to hand

Men who fight by night and day
Courage take, from the Green Beret

Silver wings upon their chest
These are men
America's best
100 men will test today
Only 3, win the Green Beret

Back at home, a young wife waits
Her Green Beret has met his fate
He has died for those oppressed
Leaving her, his last request

Put silver wings upon my son's chest
Make him one of America's best
He'll be man who'll test one day
Have him win the Green Beret

No retreat, no surrender. Never has been, never will be.. AAARROOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One WW II Marine vet (and treasure hunter) who is still with us is Roy Roush. Being the biggest man in his squad, he carried the BAR through Guadalcanal, Saipan and many other hot spots during WW II. When the Korean 'Conflict' erupted he earned his wings and became a fighter pilot. In later years, he earned a PhD in Archaeology, specializing in underwater arch., research and recovery. He then went on to write a book ("Open Fire !") about his WW II experiences. He has been a friend for 30 years.
I salute you, Roy.
Don.......
Open Fire by Roy Roush, Veteran of Guadalcanal, Saipan and Tinian

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
One WW II Marine vet (and treasure hunter) who is still with us is Roy Roush. Being the biggest man in his squad, he carried the BAR through Guadalcanal, Saipan and many other hot spots during WW II. When the Korean 'Conflict' erupted he earned his wings and became a fighter pilot. In later years, he earned a PhD in Archaeology, specializing in underwater arch., research and recovery. He then went on to write a book ("Open Fire !") about his WW II experiences. He has been a friend for 30 years.
I salute you, Roy.
Don.......
Open Fire by Roy Roush, Veteran of Guadalcanal, Saipan and Tinian

Dr. Roy has GREAT books on KGC, & Jesse James.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel, seems odd to me that you, based on past posts of yours, would use the term "Jap". Just an observation, I'm not being critical. I'm so confused about who wants to be called what these days. Can't call a football team the "Chiefs" but you can refer to one as the "Fighting Irish". Isn't that stereotyping the Irish?
Iwo Jima was one of many hard fought battles in the Pacific theater. It's hard to imagine that we would have enough soldiers with that kind of courage to defeat another enemy like Japan or Germany were.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apa8yqe4.jpg

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Rebel, seems odd to me that you, based on past posts of yours, would use the term "Jap". Just an observation, I'm not being critical. I'm so confused about who wants to be called what these days. Can't call a football team the "Chiefs" but you can refer to one as the "Fighting Irish". Isn't that stereotyping the Irish?
Iwo Jima was one of many hard fought battles in the Pacific theater. It's hard to imagine that we would have enough soldiers with that kind of courage to defeat another enemy like Japan or Germany were.

THANKS, pb... just used HIS language; you know how it was, then... WW II was very tough "times". My father was US Army serving in France; wife's father was AAC/USAF bombing Germany... VERY emotional time, then.

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This was my hero, Sydney Nelson, "Uncle Sid," 3rd Marine Division, Pearl Harbor, Guam and Iwo Jima. I was four and a half years old when the war started and this man was my all time, greatest, never been anyone else like him, hero. After the war we would hunt arrow heads or go looking for pretty rocks. He self medicated for PTSD using alcohol, and died from that cause. In those days nobody had any idea what PTSD was. First photo would be his boot camp picture, which was '39 or '40, second he's the middle Marine, probably taken on Guam after hostilities ceased. I have no idea where he got the shoes he's wearing, they sure don't look issue to me. For the most part, the few pictures we have of him were before the war, after the war started there was very little photography by an enlisted man, but I did see other photos taken on Guam, that I don't have, but I'm assuming that's this one was among those.
Uncle Sid0005.jpg Uncle Sid0008.jpg

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A true American hero Bosnmate! I know you miss him.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread