Set up?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I had a doctor's appointment on a side of town I haven't been to in awhile, and hit a few banks afterwards. One of the smaller banks would give me no halves, saying they saved them for their regular clients who asked for them. One of the tellers did say that I might want to check the Chase branch around the corner, that they might have some. Thanking her, I headed to Chase.

Sure enough, the teller there said they had plenty of halves. She asked how many I wanted, and instead of my normal response of "all you have," I asked her how many she had. "$1,000." I asked if she got halves often, and she says that they get $500 - $1,000 per week.

I left without the halves, as this is obviously a dump branch. What got me wondering, though, is why the teller at the smaller bank directed me there? The way I figure it is that her customer who collects halves let her know that he dumps at Chase, so that's where she directs people asking about them.

If nothing else, this is the type of relationship we should be cultivating with our own tellers - getting them to help us and confuse our competition.

HH!

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Some of my best CWR scores come from others dump bank. Other hunter's don't bother to ask for halves at these branches assuming they are dumps. If you receive one solid roll out of $500 it is a win. Heck, with some of the ratios that are posted around here, people would do back-flips if they got a solid roll out of $5000 searched. Do the work. Buy them all and move them with your dumps. How hard is it to search $500-$1000?

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Do the work. Buy them all and move them with your dumps. How hard is it to search $500-$1000?

Not that hard. If a teller tells me she's got several hundred dollars in halves in the vault, I'll probably buy them all. However, if she says she's got $1,000 in halves in the vault, and that she gets $500 - $1,000 a week in halves, it's almost certainly not worth my time to search them, not with the volume of CRH'ers in this town.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Fair enough. To each their own. But you will never know what is there. I've been in this game a while. I've had adamant discussions with other old time hunters that still insist that 64 and earlier are the keepers. No amount of proof will sway their minds. Perhaps, those dumps are from one of those old-timers and it is littered with 40%'ers? Look back at my threads during the summer. I was doing my bank a favor and moving some halves. The teller even told me they were searched. Pulled 21 solid rolls of 40%'ers.

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
I can personally vouch for what they're saying, FormerTeller. I cleared out a bank I suspected was a dump bank, with around $800 or so of halves, and had to sort through a lot of skunk rolls, but I also found a solid roll of Bennies and Walkers (and one '64 Kennedy), a collection dump the CRHer missed. I also found one or two other rolls with multiple 40%ers, too. A lot of nothing, but some forgotten gems mixed in. I just found ten rolls of solid 40%ers (excuse me, not solid - I found 8 '64 Kennedys, too, lol) from a bank that said they'd already been searched through! We can strategize and hypotheticize these things all we want, but until you check every single roll, you just don't know for sure. And that's a fact.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My assumption would be that if that much is dumped there regularly, then the halves are sent out to the courier almost every week.. But like they said, buy them all because you simply never know when a sweet roll was mixed in..

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you don't even have to get them every week, just once and awhile to check for any residual collections. My guess is that wasn't a setup, I get directed from smaller banks to bigger ones all the time if they don't have what I'm looking for

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you think to ask where they got those $1000 in halves from? Were they customers bringing them in each week? I know the answer may seem obvious to you, but it could very well be a teller who doesn't know any beter and that may be what they get from Loomis each week, because the head teller is ordering them. You may have stumbled onto a pick-up bank and been able to getin on those first. lol

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Former Teller - what city are we talking about? (so I stay away!)

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even numbers like $500, $1000, $1500 are always red flags. Now, $540, $1320, you can bet ill be buying all of those.

clarknau

Jul 25, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
I doubt she set you up. You asked the teller for halves and she happened to know that the bank across the way had some. Even if she knew it was a dump bank. You asked for halves and she knew that bank had some. Only way she would have set you up is if she knew you were looking for silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread