Shipping a Coin Collection

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm in the process of buying a small coin and silver collection from a close friend 700 miles away. We're trying to determine the best way to get it from him to me. He seems to be a little reluctant to mail it but I don't want to wait for 6 months for someone to come this way from Wichita Kansas. Any idea or thoughts would be appreciated. Approx value unknown at this point but I'd guess between $2-$4K.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ship with insurance, return receive requirer. I had purchased thousands worth of coins from a coin auction, by mail.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Sorry to say but as a former USPS carrier I know the parcel will be scanned and possibly
opened. Some postmasters have illegally opened parcels to look for drugs. I would not
send anything valuable through the mail. Wife once sent a semi-valuable ring to her
daughter in a box with an afghan wrapped around it. Someone had x-rayed the box and
saw the ring. It was insured but not enough to cover it's value. Then when I informed
USPS they wanted a receipt for purchase of the ring. I told that examiner there was no
receipt for the heirloom and that I was also USPS and she ought to expedite ASAP or
there would be consequences.

Ironically I had detected that ring outside her grandmother's home and wished her
granddaughter to have it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread