Shot or Cannister?

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this lead shot or cannister at Turners Gap, battle of Boonsborough [South Mountain to the North]. Still has cloth imprint and sprue must have been field cast as it has a seem the whole way around. I don't recall ever hearing of Cannister being field cast. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    863.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    879.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Tiger's last good shot. Congrats on your find.:thumbsup:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grape shot. It looks like a paleolithic golf ball though.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this lead shot or cannister at Turners Gap, battle of Boonsborough [South Mountain to the North]. Still has cloth imprint and sprue must have been field cast as it has a seem the whole way around. I don't recall ever hearing of Cannister being field cast. Any ideas?

Interesting 'Dimples' ???

Field cast ? IDK

Possible IMO ,I have seen Cannon Ball's (sure you have to ) filled with 3 Ringers , I assume by late in the war anything would suffice as a type of Shot , Nails , Rocks etc.

Still Field cast ? A great question.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think Davers on the right track, IMO it's "Grape Shot", but I'm on the same page as Davers and guessing it was field casted... "D"

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In dire times, like Davers said, I would bet that they loaded them with whatever was handy. I have found bullets and pieces of bullets that still have some of the black tar like stuff that was in the shell on them. I could see them on the eve of an impending battle field casting canister if it was in short supply.

D.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was told by the guy that runs the big relic shop in Murphreseboro TN that one I found Like that was from the rare saddle cannon. I had to turn my find in to the government agency that we were under contract with so no photo. He said an Indiana unit fired the gun off the back of a mule. The gun wasn't real popular cause sometime the mule started thrashing around. Possibly a Confederate mule. The lead ball was roughly the size of a golfball, two lbs I think he said. A very nice find you have, but I am not disagreeing with my TNET brothers.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by the guy that runs the big relic shop in Murphreseboro TN that one I found Like that was from the rare saddle cannon. I had to turn my find in to the government agency that we were under contract with so no photo. He said an Indiana unit fired the gun off the back of a mule. The gun wasn't real popular cause sometime the mule started thrashing around. Possibly a Confederate mule. The lead ball was roughly the size of a golfball, two lbs I think he said. A very nice find you have, but I am not disagreeing with my TNET brothers.

Poor Mule...Ouch!

Still a mystery piece , Mr, Cannon Ball Guy we need you. Hope you are well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread