Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday I took Jon (VMI Digger) to my favorite colonial site for some sifting and detecting. Most of you have already seen his post about the FANTASTIC 30th Regiment of Foot button that he found while detecting the site. What he didn't tell you (because he's such a nice guy lol) is that he found the button about 2 inches deep at a spot that I had sifted last winter. :BangHead: Apparently it either slipped through the screen or was covered in dirt and I didn't think it was anything worth looking at (that's my story and I'm sticking with it :laughing7:). But seriously I was really glad that he found it and I got a kick out of his reaction-I think his voice went up about two octaves! :laughing9:

Anyhow, I didn't find anything nearly as awesome as Jon's button (that would have been really hard to do) but I did end up with a couple of decent finds. The sifter turned up another two-tined fork, the third from this site.

20161122_184425.jpg

Here it is with the two I found previously

20161121_171015.jpg

About every third sift I ran the magnet through the sift pile to remove nails then swung the coil over the dirt. On one of those passes I picked up a strong upper 40s signal and pinpointed this very interesting button

20161120_124622.jpg 20161120_202547.jpg 20161120_125134.jpg

It's a small (14mm) two-piece button with a drilled shank. The front is pewter and the back piece is tombac. It has a very elaborate design on the front with four fleur-de-lises, a double rope design and the letter "L" on the front. It's a civilian button made in the 18th century (thanks Crusader for the id).

The sifter also turned up an iron shoe buckle chape

20161119_153745.jpg

Here it is after careful electrolysis and preservation with a coat of Briwax

20161121_170823.jpg

Also, as I was making one of many rounds with the magnet it picked up a very unusual hand-made screw. The shaft is forged iron and the head is brass. It obviously held down some sort of brass ornamentation; my guess is that it came from a musket. Any ideas?

20161122_084158.jpg 20161122_084338.jpg

Here are my finds from eight hours of digging and sifting. Like I said it's not a lot but was still worth the effort and we had a fun day.

20161122_184232.jpg

Upvote 30
OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, and thanks for sharing, DnD! That two piece pewter is really unique and a great example of how pewter buttons can retain considerable detail under the right soil conditions. I've not done any sifting myself, but posts like yours make me reconsider. Good luck on future hunts!

Thanks Tommy-the soil there is perfect for preserving pewter and iron.

I have to warn you-once you've tried sifting you'll be addicted for life :icon_thumleft:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate it Abe. I have found literally hundreds of pipe stem pieces from that site and I never get tired of finding them. Usually when I am them steadily I am at a good spot and other relics are close by.

I have one marked 17th century bowl and it's one of my favorite things. Anything from the 1600s is very special to me

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool finds.. Seems like a lot of work but can pay huge dividends. Congrats.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DND; What caught my eye is the buckle Chape. If you look at it, it appears to be 2 Eagles standing on a log facing each other and their wings are coming up and around to meet in the top middle completing the design of the buckle. That being said I'd date it squarely during the Rev War. Awesome find. To me, that's your best find of the day. Great job on the Preservation of the buckle. Happy Holidays. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DND; What caught my eye is the buckle Chape. If you look at it, it appears to be 2 Eagles standing on a log facing each other and their wings are coming up and around to meet in the top middle completing the design of the buckle. That being said I'd date it squarely during the Rev War. Awesome find. To me, that's your best find of the day. Great job on the Preservation of the buckle. Happy Holidays. PEACE:RONB

Thanks Rob-interesting observation

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one marked 17th century bowl and it's one of my favorite things. Anything from the 1600s is very special to me

I know what you mean. I have found a pewter horse leather decoration that has been id'd as being from the 1600s and also the Bellarmine jug at this site and it is pretty cool to know that they date back that far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions