Sifting help

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
My grandfather recently passed and the family is getting ready to sell his property. It has a creek that I have found lots of points and pottery in and want to get out tomorrow and sift the banks to satisfy my curiosity. It's just going to be me so the sifter needs to be small enough for one person to handle. I know we have a thread about sifting somewhere but can't find it. Any tips, diagrams or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

roscoelux

Mar 20, 2015
N . Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make a square frame with 2x4 any size, attach screen mesh and add two legs on one side of the square that pivot. So you put in a shovel load, stand up with legs on the ground opposite side from your hands and shake it back and forth. The legs basically hold up one side of the square and you hold up the other side. I hope my description makes sense.

Last edited:

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep half inch screen works the best, any smaller and its too hard to clear the dirt.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like the galvanized after welded wire myself its alot tougher. the stuff in the little rolls on the shelf is kinda light weight. the good stuff is usually out back and they will cut what you need.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have never dug but if he is doing it next to the water wouldnt be smarter to make one that floats and then uses the water to filter the screen?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions