Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't think the problem is that people don’t believe in carvings. The problem is that there are an awful lot of people who think every odd rock has some great significance when most just simply don’t. I think it’s a lot like people seeing clouds shaped like animals or something, but the difference is nobody thinks clouds were “carved” that way. Yet with rocks, the attitude flips to “that can’t be natural, so it must mean something”, and for a person with a treasure hunter’s mindset, it can only mean one thing. Sometimes we only see what we want to see.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
i don't think the problem is that people don’t believe in carvings. The problem is that there are an awful lot of people who think every odd rock has some great significance when most just simply don’t. I think it’s a lot like people seeing clouds shaped like animals or something, but the difference is nobody thinks clouds were “carved” that way. Yet with rocks, the attitude flips to “that can’t be natural, so it must mean something”, and for a person with a treasure hunter’s mindset, it can only mean one thing. Sometimes we only see what we want to see.
Well said. We all have imaginations and they can/do occasionally impact reality.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
why don’t people believe in rock carvings and just write them off as pareidolia, do they not see signs in the rock or refuse to see it?
Rock carvings are obviously manmade and had meaning for those who created them. Despite numerous conflicting expert opinions, we don't know know for sure when the carvings were created or what their meanings were.

Pareidolia relates to completely natural objects that appear to humans to resemble familiar recognizable things, like faces, animals, geometric patterns, etc. They are not manmade.

"Treasure hunters" want to believe both are signs, clues, pointers, messages, etc. pointing to hidden wealth. Sometimes the carvings may fit that bill, but almost always they don't. The "looks like" things may be useful as landmarks if they are easily recognizable by all humans. Most of the time they are not easily identified by most humans and are just natural things in nature.

OP
OP
Arizona_John

Arizona_John

Aug 6, 2023
Philippines
Detector(s) used
Nokta, OKM, Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the people that don’t believe in markers etc., and fall under skepticism and see something that’s unnatural that can’t be formed by erosion, wind or Mother Nature fury of some sort come of as saying pareidolia. These people are obviously wasting their time, energy and money hiking all over the place looking for nothing and telling stories about other people hiking all over the place couldn’t find anything and they couldn’t find the place where they thought they found something after they left the place. I know where I’ve been and can re find places I’ve visited. People can disbelieve and believe in their pareidolia. I know what I’m seeing.

OP
OP
Arizona_John

Arizona_John

Aug 6, 2023
Philippines
Detector(s) used
Nokta, OKM, Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the people that don’t believe in markers etc., and fall under skepticism and see something that’s unnatural that can’t be formed by erosion, wind or Mother Nature fury of some sort come of as saying pareidolia. These people are obviously wasting their time, energy and money hiking all over the place looking for nothing and telling stories about other people hiking all over the place couldn’t find anything and they couldn’t find the place where they thought they found something after they left the place. I know where I’ve been and can re find places I’ve visited. People can disbelieve and believe in their pareidolia. I know what I’m seeing.
this is what I’m talking about, people might see something and some people will not. Image below

Attachments

• IMG_5552.jpeg
    IMG_5552.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 34

Steely

May 14, 2021
Sacramento CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why don’t people believe in rock carvings and just write them off as pareidolia, do they not see signs in the rock or refuse to see it?
Hi Arizona this is Steely. Would you lease look at the carvings I posted and give me your opinion.

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
Well said.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread