Silver cob, castle and lion

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I believe this is silver and about the diameter of a dime (photographed with a silver dime), with only half the thickness of a dime. (see photo silver6edge)

Photo silver6 seems to show a rearing lion facing left surrounded by a circle of dots. I can see several letters separated by dots on the right and lower right of the cob: I (dot) DE (dot) E? B? G? something.

Photo silver6a shows an enlarged castle with 3 turrets partially surrounded by dots. There seems to be a block letter M or N at 3, and what looks like a T at 4.

Attachments

• silver6.JPG
    silver6.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 429
  • silver6a.JPG
    silver6a.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 438
  • silver6edge.JPG
    silver6edge.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 445
OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Looks promising, Mackaydon! The 4 maravedis shown in your url seems to be too big and weighs 3.09grams, which is two (too?) much. A 2 maravedis (did they make those?) would be a near-perfect fit I think, if they weighed 1.54 or 1.55 grams. I'll try searching for 2 maravedis and weight, and see what pops up.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow the link...
Choose and open Felipe II and scan over page until you see the highlighted word in blue "aqui" this will open up many great photos of Maravedis...
I consider this site to be one of the best if not thee best.
It will provide you info and examples of all you seek...
Enjoy....

http://www.maravedis.org/espa%F1a.html

Trez

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Thanks to both mackaydon and Tnez.

@mackaydon: Looks like a very good match to one of the thin coins I have, barely more than silver foil.

@Tnez: will look that website over ASAP. Thanks for posting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread