Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to share this true story...

In 1998, I was at my In-Laws home in PA and the neighbor stopped over. He saw my metal detector and brought up an incident that happened between his two boys in 1960. They younger of the two brothers was fighting with his older brother and he came running out of the house with his older brother's silver dollar in-hand. He proceeded to throw it across the road into some tall grass. The father was outside at the time, so he knows that this is exactly what happened.

I told him that I would be glad to look for it and if I found it, his son would get it back. He agreed and luckily the grass was now mowed short. Had my Garrett GTA 1000 at the time and started working along the road and slowly worked in by gridding the ground. About my third pass, I get a signal that locks on to "Dollar" at 6" down. I checked it at 90 degrees and it didn't change.

I dug a "U" shaped plug and rolled the plug back onto the grass. The detector said it was still in the hole which was good black dirt, no clay. I carefully moved some dirt with my hand and saw the silver dollar. Since I was alone I decided to leave it there and put the plug back into the hole so it looked undisturbed. I went over the neighbor's door and asked him to come out. I said I think I found it but I wanted him to check it out.

His wife came with and now my wife walks over and so does another neighbor to see what's going on. I tell them that I think I found the silver dollar that was lost 38 years ago. I went back to the spot and showed them the detector picked up a dollar at 6". I pretended to dig the plug and told the neighbor that it was down in the dirt. He reaches down and pulls out the 1921 silver dollar as shiny as new.

They couldn't believe it, and as promised his older son got his silver dollar back. It's cool to see the looks on people's faces when they get something back. I thought it was interesting that after 38 years in good black soil, the silver dollar was at just 6" deep!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great. You got to find a silver dollar and the son got his coin back. A great hunt.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Be sure to hunt the rest of your neighbor's yard, SD51. That may not be all that was lost there. And check the other neighbor's yard as well.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Story, thank you for sharing!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're worth $20, but that one's worth more than that.

Priceless!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread