Silver Ore

Dirthogg

Nov 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious,do any of you cut silver ore with rock saws?I have been cutting almost pure silver ore into slices with my 12" rock saw.The ore comes from Cobalt Ontario Canada.Some of the specimens have actual silver nuggets in the calcite and dolomite.Very cool.Some cobalt bloom but almost pure metal with small rind of dolomite.These specimens are found with a gold bug 2 and GPX 5000 by a fellow member on this site.He is an avid placer miner as well as an accomplished silver ore locater.We are planning a future trip to detect the area.The old miners were a little careless with the dynamite and silver ore is spread far and wide.Just wondering if anyone else does anything like this?Will post some pics if anyone is interested.

OP
OP
D

Dirthogg

Nov 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok going to take some pics and post.Thanx Rodbuster209

OP
OP
D

Dirthogg

Nov 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pictures of the silver ore .The one with lightening bolts turned out poor,will try later for better pics.In real life bolts are gold colored and look awesome.Put an old dime I found washing gravel at old placer claim for an idea of size.Now to try to post pics for first time. P4100169.JPG P4100171.JPG P4100172.JPG P4100175.JPG P4100176.JPG P4100177.JPG P4100179.JPG P4100180.JPG P4100182.JPG P4100183.JPG P4100184.JPG P4100185.JPG P4100186.JPG P4100187.JPG P4100188.JPG P4100189.JPG

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DH: Suggest you post this over in the Prospecting Forums, as there
others with hardrock (Silver) mining experience can chime in.

OP
OP
D

Dirthogg

Nov 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 replys?Interesting.Well at least I figured out how to post pics.:dontknow:

OP
OP
D

Dirthogg

Nov 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DDD.well the silver nuggets are recovered by soaking in Murianic acid.It eats the calcite away leaving clean nuggets.The silver ore is some of the purest in the entire world.Google Cobalt Ontario,you will find an interesting read.Poor ore needs to be roasted and screened slimed frothed ectracted ect.This ore is so pure it melts into dore bars.I still am having an issue with members showing no interest.This is where all the silver they collect comes from.I searched the site and not much on real silver at all?Oh well glad you enjoyed the pics.I can't even find this post on the forum easily?If it was the norm or too many posting the same thing,but no.On to bigger and better things.Take Care

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Hey DDD.well the silver nuggets are recovered by soaking in Murianic acid.It eats the calcite away leaving clean nuggets.The silver ore is some of the purest in the entire world.Google Cobalt Ontario,you will find an interesting read.Poor ore needs to be roasted and screened slimed frothed ectracted ect.This ore is so pure it melts into dore bars.I still am having an issue with members showing no interest.This is where all the silver they collect comes from.I searched the site and not much on real silver at all?Oh well glad you enjoyed the pics.I can't even find this post on the forum easily?If it was the norm or too many posting the same thing,but no.On to bigger and better things.Take Care

It is interesting and I would love to try mining some day.

OP
OP
D

Dirthogg

Nov 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for reply DDD,yes the silver is so heavy it gets your blood flowing when you feel the weight.Yes I tried polishing some,I have a diamond grit lapidary wheel,the piece I first tried was so pure it got hot and greasy like,melted the silver>So tried another method looks just like a polished piece of silver.Used apolish powder and random orbital sander with emory paper.sweet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread