single notch points ?

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello- been a long time, but I finally got back out to my Uncles place in NM and these pieces were found. My bro found the white ones. (All right in front of my face of course.)

And the next day, my last chance walk, I found the pink one. Curiously, one of his and the pink one are single notched. Thoughts?

white.png pink.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
crj1968

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course they would be worked both sides.

OK. Hard for me to see how the notch was used/ useful for a knife.

as opposed to knives like this....thx for responses!

Attachments

• P1000880.JPG
    P1000880.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
crj1968

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are nice. Thanks for the look!

Thanks- I was thrilled to find it- first (almost) full point I've ever found....if it is a point that is!

I saw your threads about going back to that same field over and over. Unreal !

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I have seen a few that where only notched on one side. I have always guessed it was just because of a problem area in the material? If you look at that side that isn't deeply notched you can see shallow nothing. Maybe worked well enough to haft for that piece. Just a guess.

OP
OP
crj1968

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I have seen a few that where only notched on one side. I have always guessed it was just because of a problem area in the material? If you look at that side that isn't deeply notched you can see shallow nothing. Maybe worked well enough to haft for that piece. Just a guess.

Thanks. Yes we noticed that too...maybe it was "good enough." (That's kind of my motto too) ;)

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
Yes, thanks, we had thought that as well, but would both sides be worked for a knife?

I have a similar one found on a battle site, I showed to an old Apache man. He said, "Injun pocket knife". I thought it was a joke since most Injuns love to pull your leg then he took a similar one out of his pocket. It was about 2 1/2" long made of white quartz & carried in a rawhide sheath. He pulled it out, turned it around & put the 'handle' end in the sheath & had a decent cutting tool. He said he'd used it to field dress deer, etc. as a kid & didn't use it anymore since he had a modern pocketknife clipped to his pocket but kept it since his grandfather made it for him nearly 80 years ago.

OP
OP
crj1968

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a similar one found on a battle site, I showed to an old Apache man. He said, "Injun pocket knife". I thought it was a joke since most Injuns love to pull your leg then he took a similar one out of his pocket. It was about 2 1/2" long made of white quartz & carried in a rawhide sheath. He pulled it out, turned it around & put the 'handle' end in the sheath & had a decent cutting tool. He said he'd used it to field dress deer, etc. as a kid & didn't use it anymore since he had a modern pocketknife clipped to his pocket but kept it since his grandfather made it for him nearly 80 years ago.

Interesting. thanks for that !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread