IMG_7190.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks natural, when pictures are blown up can't see any signs of being used for grinding, more like caused by moving water.

OP
OP
V

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
The Sioux quartzite items that I have posted up do not really show flaking because it is so dang-gone hard to flake / work. 7.5 Mors.

It is my understanding that when "flaking" quartz and or quartzite, you can expect much more shattering than flaking as pieces are being removed.
Rates of 80% to above 90% were not uncommon. Tuff stuff!

Around this area, I am told, the items made from Sioux quartzite are generally beat and whacked around with bigger hard rocks to work out the general shape and form. After shaping, they get lots and lots of blows - the peening and pecking begins. Units made of quartz or quartzite have been finished by peening. You can see zillions of tiny blows to the rock with a glass. No flaking marks that I can see.

After peening, many pieces seem to have also had abrasion / been abraded to reach the maker's preferred tool smoothness...one of the hafted scrapers shown in Sioux Quartzite #4 (the triangle unit) was well smoothed IMHO.

Man, all that must work have taken a long time! But hard stone lasts!

Enjoy your day. We are getting a little long overdue rain!
Have fun.

vfm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread