beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was given permission to detect on a small piece of property with an old falling down house on it. The owner said just don't get too close to the house cause it could collapse at any time. I got there about 8am, put on my gear and started out near the road in front of the house. As I worked my way towards the house the grass was getting thicker and deeper which made swinging the coil tough. I had found $.81 cents in clad coins and a couple pieces of junk. I was ready to call it a day when it happened.

I'm deathly afraid of snakes so you won't catch me in tall grass in the summer. And this grass was giving me the willies. As I turned to head to my jeep I looked down and my entire body froze. There, right at my feet was a HUGE snake. I had visions of huge fangs stabbing into my leg filling my with poison, falling to the ground, and slowing dying. I knew I had to go on the offensive so I held down the snake with my coil while I whacked off it's head with my Lesche tool. Only after it was dead did I look to see what kind of snake it was. Turned out to be an inner tube from a bicycle. But I surely did kill it!!!!!

$.81 cents in clad was my take for the day. I left he old inner tube where it lay...........dead!

Upvote 11

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now here's a vicious critter for you! He's a lot meaner than he looks, really he is...

toad smaller (2).jpg

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nahhhhhhh................see to me that is a copperhead. Every snake I see, to me, is poisonous. If far enough away I back away then run. If too close I do what I have to do.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I woulda been outa there in a flash! I know they are Gods creatures, but I still don't have to like them. & thanks for killing that inner tube! You are my hero!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN0827.JPG DSCN0829.JPG
Maybe this will creep out you folks with an irrational fear of some of my favorite creatures. Snakebit!! Teeth too small to even break the skin. Such a little cutie!! Please don't kill snakes, even the poisonous ones will not attack humans. You may get bit if you step on one, but they will not chase you. There aren't that many varieties of poisonous snakes in this country and except for the coral snake which is rare the bite is not fatal to adults in most instances. It is fairly easy to go to your local zoo and become familiar with the copperhead and rattlers that may inhabit your area so as not to mistake what you are seeing. For you southern guys, moccassins usually only live right at the water's edge and are not found in open fields or deep woods. If you hunt poisonous snake infested areas a set of snake bite proof boots or spats are a must and a lot of desert hunters use them. Most real farmers like having the big black snakes, rat snakes and others around as they keep the rodent population down and are beneficial critters to have anywhere.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't creep me out, lol. I have forced myself to pick up a small little garter. In my later years, I have adopted the live and let live approach to wildlife, and appreciate the diversity in our world.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beez,:laughing7:
Thanks for the great laugh. That was hilarious!
I too hate snakes and am very cautious of them while out in the woods or tall grass. I walked up on a Copperhead sunning himself one time, an needless to say after he struck at my coil I took him down. I leave the non-poisonous snakes alone, but I'm not giving the deadly ones a second chance. Sorry, that's just me.
-MM-
P.S. I'd hate to see how you react to an car inner tube. :tongue3:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since we are sharing our snake stories, I have another that shows the extent of my fear of them. Not long after my daughter's mother and I split up, we moved back to Ky from Oklahoma. Being a single parent, you do what you have to to provide for your child. I took a job as a farm hand on a 400+ acre farm and lived in the little farm house. My source of heat was wood and on the day of the encounter, I had been out on a mountain on the property known for copperheads looking for tree tops left from logging. I was cautious and did not see a single snake. When I got home, I walked across the front yard to check on some cattle we had moved to the field in front of the house. I was in mid step and saw a 16-18 inch copperhead rear it's head to strike as I was about to step on it. I remember making some sort of primal grunt of fear and somehow ( I still have no idea how ), I jumped over the snake from one foot on the ground as I was in the middle of a step. I went into the house, got my .22, loaded it, went back out and found the poor snake again. My first shot almost decapitated it but I had so much fear for myself AND my 4 or 5 year old daughter that I emptied the rifle into it. All day I had the thought of a copperhead in my mind and didn't see one until I reached the "safety" of my own home. I apologise to those that like them, but I did what I had to to protect my family, I think.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer while metal detecting I seen a very large amount of snakes in different areas, goes with the turf as they say. I'm not afraid of them per-say, but I will give them there room if need be. I do enjoy seeing any kind of wildlife, except bees.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Poor snake. Never did anything to anyone. Just trying to make a living as nature intended.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Poor snake. Never did anything to anyone. Just trying to make a living as nature intended.

I know, Tom. It was probably driven from the field by the cattle, BUT my daughter played in the yard and choosing between her safety and the livelihood of the snake, I chose her. We are as much a part of nature as they.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PLEASE! Don't even get me started on bees. Well not all bees.............just mainly yellow jackets.

Don Griffith

May 2, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Vibra Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmm. This thread really got me thinking . One thing I can't decide (so please help me out folks?). If a snake kills a person.....will THAT upset the ecosystem ?

It would mine!!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 983350 View attachment 983351
Maybe this will creep out you folks with an irrational fear of some of my favorite creatures. Snakebit!! Teeth too small to even break the skin. Such a little cutie!! Please don't kill snakes, even the poisonous ones will not attack humans. You may get bit if you step on one, but they will not chase you. There aren't that many varieties of poisonous snakes in this country and except for the coral snake which is rare the bite is not fatal to adults in most instances. It is fairly easy to go to your local zoo and become familiar with the copperhead and rattlers that may inhabit your area so as not to mistake what you are seeing. For you southern guys, moccassins usually only live right at the water's edge and are not found in open fields or deep woods. If you hunt poisonous snake infested areas a set of snake bite proof boots or spats are a must and a lot of desert hunters use them. Most real farmers like having the big black snakes, rat snakes and others around as they keep the rodent population down and are beneficial critters to have anywhere.
Do a search of snake bite pictures and tell us that again.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kill every poisonous snake I see.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snake!!! I love them and look out for the dangerous ones and let the good guys do what they do and pet them if they let me. The picture is from the garage of a house I was renting, there were rats that had gotten in and shortly after I had a new roommate looking to help me out.

Attachments

• 0814111743a.jpg
    0814111743a.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 81

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
funny story,i think if it was a real black snake you would of killed a friend as they kill and eat other snakes i think they call them king snakes

Last edited:

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
snakes are allowed to kill people UNLESS the people are on the endangered list

Sooooo, ok . Do I Google am I on the endangered list.com. or what? Help me I'M old and feebler everyday.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think snakes are cool. They never scare me, we don't have any poisonous ones around here. While detecting a couple of months ago, we found this garter getting some sun. My little girl wanted to hold the snake so bad lol. We walked, and she carried the snake, way over to a treed area across the golf course and let it go.

Attachments

• image-1851121890.jpg
    image-1851121890.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 71

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread