Small gauge railroad spike, copper clip, lead ingot?

Kevin75931

Oct 9, 2016
Jasper Texas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Little background of the area. in the early 1900s this was a sawmill community. The mill burned down in 1925, and a large portion of the people left.

Extending out from the sawmill were small gauge (aka narrow gauge) tracks that were used to transport trees to the mill. The tracks sat on timbers, which sat directly on the ground, as opposed to modern tracks that are resting on a bed of rocks. In the morning workers would arrive at the mill, then ride the narrow gauge train to where they were going to be working for the day. When the tracks were pulled up, a great number of spikes were tossed to the side.

These spikes do not belong to a railroad, as the tracks belonged to the sawmill. In short, the spike is around 100 years old.

Near the tracks was a house that was moved maybe in the 1930s? Clip came from what seems to be a trash area that was around 200 feet behind the house. Area did not get electricity until 1952. So the house was long gone before power was brought in. Copper clip has some kind of decoration on it. Maybe the clip is off a car? But why put inlayed decorations on a car clip?

Seems to be a lead ingot? Looks to have been melted on one end.

Other thing I am not sure. Almost looks like a melted rivet?

Tape measure for scale. I think it came from Lowes.

copper-clip.JPG spike-copper-clip.JPG

I have owners full permission to search and keep what I find. My dad is the property owner. :)

Related thread about the trash area - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/602813-excavating-glass-pottery.html

Last edited:
Upvote 5
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep at it there is more to be found! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread