Small padlock with key and other relics

JM1184

Mar 19, 2016
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I asked for permission to detect at a home built in 1734.... The property owners turned out to be archeologists .... They didn't let me keep anything but let me hunt for an hour. Lots of square nails, an early axe head and then the padlock with key! I'm guessing it's from the 1800s but I didn't get a chance to investigate. The lock was small, probably 2 inches. Hopefully they'll send me pictures of it cleaned up, they invited me to come back another time but I'm not sure if I'm into it. The iron ring and pewter flat button ( warranted is all I can see for a back mark) and 1950 Rosie are from a park. Any ID input on the iron ring would be appreciated, some type of hitching ring or rein guide? I was still stressed about the padlock so I found some rough terrain in the middle of nowhere , an old 1790s site of a clothier , blacksmith, tannery etc.... Very swampy and overgrown, it yielded a plain flat button , shoe or knee buckle?, suspender clip and other relics. I worked very hard for those mediocre finds!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • image.png
    image.png
    694.4 KB · Views: 104
  • image.png
    image.png
    712.9 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 8
Really cool lock!

hahhaha yeah , what were they thinking ?

Cool. I never find old locks.

Yours is an old English 1800's Patent padlock. Cleaned up it might reveal initials such as VR or GR. (English monarchy)

I found an old RR lock that I cleaned up and made a set of picks and looked up the info to see what it looks like inside. I ended up picking it open. So it can be done.

What SEEMS weird about your lock...
And I say this from my angle / view...
That does not appear to be the key to it.

In other words the key is to another lock.
Only one way to confirm...
Is that key a "barrel" key ? (hollow)

Cool find never the less...wd.

Last edited:
That lock is awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back