Small Stash of Gold Plated Items..

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, all these things are gold plated, they are not brass... I have tested all of them, the green paint is NOT tarnish it is paint..

So it began the other day when i found some item with a really thick gold plate on it... I estimated about 150$ in gold (4.8grams calculated weight) So i thought maybe there was more in the area.. So i began to go very slow over the whole area.. It was the next night that i got a signal, dug it.. and i found a nail.. now thats not spectacular at all. Bu i wondered: Why was my metal detector picking up this nail? it was then i noticed the top of the nail was green painted.. Also not out of the ordinary right? Well the big gold plated item i found, the back was green painted, and when i scraped away the paint there was another layer of gold! So i scraped away at the nail and saw that the NAIL was GOLD PLATED >.< Crazy i know, the nail was gold plated, baffled me to.. so i acid tested it... and it was legitimately gold. So in all, over the past 3-4days i have found:

4 Gold Plated Nails
4 Gold Plated Rivets
1 Piece of something thick gold plate object

Every day i go out to the spot, i find more gold plated items... So im wondering what it went to? Why are there gold plated nails? The reason i think all these items were painted over is this: They were disguised in green paint to prevent people from taking it. Because.. Who gold paints something.. than paints over it??? They dont, it was meant to be hidden/disguised!

IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0601.JPG IMG_0605.JPG IMG_0618.JPG IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0621.JPG

Upvote 2
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I found another gold plated rivet..

Also the reason there is only 3 in the pic instead of 4, is because my cat lost one last night..

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to throw this out there, doubt anyone believes me on this post but i think its cool..

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's really strange. Who plates nails in gold. and WHY?? Maybe there was a gold plating operation and the nails and rivets were just to test things out?? Coulda' been a hobbyist or a goldsmith in training maybe? I admit that sounds far fetched but you never know. Gold plated nails and rivets that are also painted over in green just aren't very common. Maybe the paint was some kind of color coding for various tests.

Do you have any history on the site that might help you solve the mystery??

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going to throw this out there, doubt anyone believes me on this post but i think its cool..

I believe you. You truly never know what will turn up anywhere. The oldest coin I ever found, a 1787 NJ Copper, was just under the surface in an area where people had picnics for about 50 years yet no one ever noticed it. Since getting into this hobby nothing surprises me anymore.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really strange. Who plates nails in gold. and WHY?? Maybe there was a gold plating operation and the nails and rivets were just to test things out?? Coulda' been a hobbyist or a goldsmith in training maybe? I admit that sounds far fetched but you never know. Gold plated nails and rivets that are also painted over in green just aren't very common. Maybe the paint was some kind of color coding for various tests.

Do you have any history on the site that might help you solve the mystery??
I'm taking it to a historical society this weekend, and am taking it to a friend who deals with gold a lot for him to test it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold plated rivet for horse tack makes sense, but I'm struggling with the nails.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this hobby because you just never know lol

Top Member Reactions