So the teller asks if I want this funny money... Photo added!

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Took a drive today with the wife and son. We were heading down the coast to hit a beach or two. I knew there wouldn't be many bank stops so I picked a stop where there were two banks within walking distance and I could get in and out fast plus one had produced in the past.

First bank had nothing and the second one was heading that way as I could tell the tellers didn't have any interest or weren't holding anything. As I was leaving one teller said "Chrissy might have something but she is with a customer."

I turned around and up walks Chrissy who says right over here. I walk up to her window and look down in her tray and what do I see but a small stack of Morgans and Peace dollars. She says, your in luck someone just dropped off some funny money. Do you want it? I note that the other teller who wasn't very helpful almost runs over and says they might be worth some money. I could see she wasn't happy about this situation as the teller just stacks them on the counter and sells all six of them to me! Score! Oh yea, two 40% to go with them. Out I go out the door! Dates, 1889, 1921 Morgan, three 1922 and a 1926-s. All in fairly nice shape. Bring on that funny money!

Updated with a photo -

Maine_Jim

Attachments

• FunnyMoneyPickup.jpg
    FunnyMoneyPickup.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,136
Upvote 0

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Wow Jim, nice score there! have only been able to find 1 Ike so far, yours is much nicer! and why do tellers do that b.s. if you see something you want grab it and be done, don't throw it in our faces! arrgghhh.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Could be funny money (counterfeit).. one guy once told me he bought some Peace Dollars for $3 each two years ago at a swap meet. I examined them and they felt light and the strikes seemed weak. Funny money?

Well, those are probably real based on the weight.. right? Anyhow, just wanted to share that.. nice pull

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I think they are all real - one has been whizzed pretty hard. The shiny Morgan has a lot of fine cleaning lines. I've only gotten one fake coin while CRH. It was a Jefferson squirting nickel!

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
No such luck on the 1889 being a CC. First thing I looked for! If it had been I would almost expect it to be a counterfeit. I started looking to see if there was an interesting VAM but I started getting eye strain and gave up.

Maine_Jim

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are all real - one has been whizzed pretty hard. The shiny Morgan has a lot of fine cleaning lines. I've only gotten one fake coin while CRH. It was a Jefferson squirting nickel!

Maine_Jim

what year?? it could be worth some bucks!!!!i think it was in the 40's

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the camera out - point and shoot does well on text setting. I probably won't get a chance for the chocolates as it is a bit out of town and I only hit this area about every two months. I may make another trip by myself soon and hit the rest of the banks in the area. Definitely a right time right place deal. This is the most old silver dollars I have picked up at once.

Maine_Jim

yep, the old silver dollars are such a red flag to tellers that the only way to get them is to be in the right place at the right time. They just scream value to anyone who looks at them. My only peace dollar find was when I showed up while the lady was still counting them. If the other tellers had a chance to see them there's probably no way I'da gotten 'em. Also by showing up when she was counting them, she couldn't really say "no, we don't have any halves or large dollar coins :laughing7:" They came with 2 bens, 5BU 64s and 1 1966

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The funny thing is too that this bank has produced a couple really good scores for me over only like 5 or 6 total stops, but one of those times I went in there and the teller told me "we never get any of those in, and when we do they usually go right out the door." yep, pretty much lady I'm the one takin' 'em! but seriously I love those tellers, most tellers in town are quite nice and I definitely appreciate how willing they are to help out my hobby.

OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
what year?? it could be worth some bucks!!!!i think it was in the 40's

I can't recall the date. It took me forever to figure out what the heck the nickel was. I posted it on another forum mentioning it was light and seemed strange. After about twenty responses someone suggested I put it in a glass of water and sure enough after I took it out and squeezed it...squirt! Very funny.

Maine_Jim

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't recall the date. It took me forever to figure out what the heck the nickel was. I posted it on another forum mentioning it was light and seemed strange. After about twenty responses someone suggested I put it in a glass of water and sure enough after I took it out and squeezed it...squirt! Very funny.

Maine_Jim

The 1940 Henning nickels are worth something, but would be worthless if they were turned into a squirting nickel.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy I bet that other teller who came running over was just glaring daggers at you when you were walking out. LOL. Had a lady do that when she wanted a CB radio at a yard sale. But she was busy yaking with the yard sale owner and was a postal delivery person and should have been delivering our mail instead of yaking it up. So I slipped past them to check out the stuff and spotting the CB. I picked it up and a voice behind me says 'I was going to get that'. Turned to see that it was the postal worker. I gave the yard sale owner the money and as we were leaving my BFF told me that if looks could kill I would have been killed and incinerated on the spot. Can't help it if she was too busy talking to snap up the CB first then start talking.

Super sweet find.

Sincerely, GarouLady

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE!!! I'd ask if there was any more "Funny" money!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread