So what do you do... UPDATE

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went into a small town bank a couple of days ago and bought $100 in halves, they said it was all they could spare at the time. These 10 rolls produced 4 - 90%, 34 - 40% and 2 proofs ;D

Needless to say, I wanted to go back and pick up more, but the bank is a good 30 minute drive, and with work and being family man, I gave it a 3 day cooling off period, so as not to run them out of halves. So I went in today and they pretty much flat out refused to sell me anything. Normally it's not a big deal when a bank says they can't spare any, but when the bank is a silver mine it irks me more than a little. On the drive home I kept rolling over cliches in my head like "You're in the same boat that you were in before they told you no, one door closes another one opens, etc, etc. I usually don't let too much get to me, but this really burns. Gonna try and go back tomorrow and see if the Lead Teller isnt working if I can work out a deal to sell them rolled clads for their rolls.

Upvote 0

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State
Re: So what do you do...

I would call first and ask to speak to the lead teller. If she is in, then ask if you can swap rolls. If she isn't in, then go on down there and try to buy more. If they give you a problem, then offer to swap.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

Tell me where they are and I will speak to them on your behalf. :icon_pirat:
jk

Actually, good luck to you. I know our territories overlap on occasions, but go get em. JT10 has great advice on how to do it. The only other thing I could think of would be to have a friend, etc do a straw purchase for you.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other

I had this happen. I called someone to open a CD. Told them my wife is an investor by trade and likes to keep some of our ivnestments in various $1000 CDs around town, and I've convinced her to try this bank because the staff was just so "gosh darn friendly to me compared to other banks." They agreed, and I said "You were friendly to me when I wasn't a customer, I'm just a coin collector that was in there for some half dollars to fill some holes in my collectors book. When I come to setup the CD could I get some half dollars from you?" They'll be crazy to say no.

Got me $200 in half dollars once....had 3x 90% and 20x 40%ers.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

open an account....

most regional and small banks only require $100 initial deposit with no fees.........

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Good advice so far.

I'd probably set up an account with them.

OP
OP
J

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the replies everyone! That's what makes this board so much fun is that so many people participate. I will likely open an account tomorrow or sometime soon, it will have to be strictly a savings account with a small balance because they will not be able to accommodate any kind of dumps. It may develop into a good relationship in the future though, it seems that they do not have any access to halves because they do not order them through their courier.

Again, thank you all for your great advice, I will be sure to keep you updated.

OP
OP
J

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went back to the silver mine today to try and get more. The "lead" teller was not there today and I was able to pry 2 rolls out of them, which the teller begrudgingly gave to me.

I asked if I could have more and she of course gave me the same line "They are for our customers."

To which I replied "How about I open an account, and I can even get you rolls of halves if you are worried about your stock running too low."

She says "Oh, they are for our business customers too, we can't give them all to you."

I say "I understand. My wife and I each own our own businesses, how about if the both of us open business accounts?"

Her "I'm not sure. I will have to talk to the manager." (she disappears for a few minutes) "I'm sorry, but this is all we can give you right now, we need the rest for our other customers."

To which I smile, thank her for her time and go to my car and open my 2 rolls and find 2 40% halves. I will be contacting the bank president on Monday to let him know that he lost a potential customer.

I understand that they probably need to keep some coin for other customers, I get that. But if I am willing to open multiple accounts to achieve this, than what is the problem exactly? Would they treat their other business customers like this?

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
jarlbartar said:
I understand that they probably need to keep some coin for other customers, I get that. But if I am willing to open multiple accounts to achieve this, than what is the problem exactly? Would they treat their other business customers like this?

Because they are smart, know what you are trying to do, and gave you a couple rolls to shut you up and stop you from making a scene or being difficult. Cut your losses, keep going back every month, and try to be nice. Have a friend go in for you if you have to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread