Solid boxes of halves?

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
I just picked up two boxes of halves from my usual order, and they're both solid 2001 D's! Absolutely brand new, brilliant uncirculated.

I've run into solid boxes of dimes and nickels before -- nothing unusual there. But halves? These must have just been sitting around in a vault somewhere for eleven years! I've never heard about this before . . . Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on why it happened?

(And if anyone wants some BU GEM MINT 2001 D KENNEDY HALF DOLLAR UNSEARCHED ROLLS, just let me know :BangHead:)

Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would sell those individually on ebay for sure, at least as many as you can. What an interesting find!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Its possible that you are getting down to the mythical "bottom of the stack". 2001 was the last year that the half dollar was minted for circulation and so its not going to be that unusual that its 2001 (since you won't ever find a solid box of 2002-2012) but keep ordering! You might be getting some older boxes soon...

OP
OP
C

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Or, I've been thinking, my bank hit the bottom of the pallet last week and just took delivery of a bunch of unopened mint bags that have been sitting at the Fed for a decade... I hope your theory is right, Generic_Lad!

And I wish I could stash away one of the boxes to sell over time, but I'm not quite at that level yet! Maybe just a few rolls though...

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or, I've been thinking, my bank hit the bottom of the pallet last week and just took delivery of a bunch of unopened mint bags that have been sitting at the Fed for a decade... I hope your theory is right, Generic_Lad!

And I wish I could stash away one of the boxes to sell over time, but I'm not quite at that level yet! Maybe just a few rolls though...
Haha, either way you may be getting into a new supply. It may be good or it may be endless boxs of 2001 !

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Test on eBay. See if they sell better in lots, or the entire box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread