Some of my most rare Civil War artifacts I have dug *Experimental bullets*

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are some of my most rare pieces I've ever dug up. They were unknown at the time. Even veteran relic hunters that had been hunting 40+ years had no clue about them. Well it turned out to be an experimental muzzle loading bullet (the barrel was even supposed to have a depression to hold this bullet as can be seen in the patent) and even the world's foremost expert on Civil War bullets had no clue about it until he discovered the patent. It's the Confederate C.A. McEvoy cartridge and was supposed to be re-loadable and also to prevent rashes caused by soldiers biting off the paper on typical rounds. You can look closely in my photos and see the little brass fins in the back of the cartridge. I found these in five feet deep hut pits all in the same location. To my knowledge, only two others were found and all known came from this same, very small location. I managed to find two in one hut, then a few years later I got into a hut pit and found another one along with two crushed hulls. The one with the individual bullet was the first one I found and it was a blob of iron and not knowing what it was, I crushed it in my hand(Still sick of this one.) It does show the bullet design though and it has a little nipple inside it. I thought I would share this with all the bullet posts here. This is perhaps one of my rarest finds ever. There is a Union version called the E.C. Dunning. I'm not sure if any of those have been found or not, but it was patented a year later, so apparently they copied this southern version. These are a prized centerpiece of my collection and as far as bullets go, I'll never find any more rare than these.
Picture 070.jpg
Picture 071.jpg
Picture 072.jpg
C.A. McEvoy.png
View attachment CAMcEvoy.bmp
View attachment C.A.bmp

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find of these very rare bullets Worm Slicer. Those are something to have in your collection for sure. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are super nice! Do you have any idea how many were issued, were they Gov. issue? They are neat!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting, & special ...cool design & a great job of preservation on those rare Cartridges.
Thanks for sharing.
Davers

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are super nice! Do you have any idea how many were issued, were they Gov. issue? They are neat!

I have no idea how many, but many many people I showed it to had no clue what it was and that was veteran relic hunters. Dean Thomas, probably the world's authority on Civil War ammunition, was the one that identified it. He had not clue what it was or had never seen one before. To this day, those I know of were dug in about a 100 square foot area with huts, and those are the only ones I've ever seen anywhere. It's not even in the bullet books. Yes, they were government issue as C. A. McEvoy has some other patents with the Confederate government. I think some fuses and other things.

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Amazing that you were able to find and save these historical pieces!

D.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! Amazing that you were able to find and save these historical pieces!

D.

Thanks. Yep, I was quite lucky to be in the right place at the right time and also lucky to contact the right person that could identify them for me. You never know what new discoveries may surface in our hobby.:)

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice WM, thanks for sharing!!! "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions