something unusual went through my trommel

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
was out at the claim yesterday (11-4-23), working an old tailings pile with my trommel. what goes through the trommel i put in a bucket and bring home to process in my garage. today i was working my buckets and seen something i never seen before:

new pet.jpg

apologies for not getting a clearer picture. but it's pretty clear what it is. this little bugger was walking around inside the bucket, good thing i wear gloves when i work my material from the claim.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wife and I find them in the house occasionally. We've both been zapped once....Ah the life of desert dwellers.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was out at the claim yesterday (11-4-23), working an old tailings pile with my trommel. what goes through the trommel i put in a bucket and bring home to process in my garage. today i was working my buckets and seen something i never seen before:

View attachment 2113681

apologies for not getting a clearer picture. but it's pretty clear what it is. this little bugger was walking around inside the bucket, good thing i wear gloves when i work my material from the claim.
Ahhh the legend of the baby golden scorpion comes to mind... it is said that if you were to dig 10 feet to the left of where the scorpion first appeared that the largest of all gold nuggets will be found.

OP
OP
zemetrius

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ahhh the legend of the baby golden scorpion comes to mind... it is said that if you were to dig 10 feet to the left of where the scorpion first appeared that the largest of all gold nuggets will be found.
wait what

• Haha
Reactions: ARC

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a hellgrammite, real common but usually has a pebble shell around it.

I would agree it's a 'naiad'... the nymph stage of either a dragonfly/damselfly or mayfly. Difficult to tell from the image which of those it might be, They're usually between half an inch to an inch in length and spend 1-2 years in that state as aquatic larvae before becoming winged adults.

The anatomy isn't consistent with a scorpion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread