Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt a new field that I'd been eye-balling for a while. It has a nice flat above a gentle slope that runs down to a narrow floodplain above a fairly large creek, so I had the feeling that the area might have been well used and if we were really lucky, there might have been a camp on the site. My two boys went out with me and we had another great day because we all found something. As soon as we started into the field, we started finding flakes everywhere. We made a few passes the length of the field to see if there were other productive areas and found a couple. I found a point with some ancient tip damage, the bit of a celt, a hoe, and a broken Madison. My youngest son found a few broken knives and my older son found a Woodland? point of some sort...
IMG_3402.JPG point with old tip damage.jpg possible woodland point.jpg

We went back a few days later and my son found a Big Sandy-ish point to go with his Woodland? point. A day or so later, he found a Madison to go along with the others.
3 from old barn site.jpg

By this point, my older son was really kicking my butt on finds this year. My younger son isn't as into hunting artifacts as his older brother and me, so it's not unusual for him not to find anything. He'd rather be running around and playing in the creeks, although some days, we all end up playing in the creek, or at least the two of them while I walk a field. Anyway, my older son and I went back a couple of days later again and I picked up a nice little point and a unifacial knife...
archaic corner notch and uniface knife.jpg archaic corner notch 1.jpg archaic corner notch 2.jpg

I also picked up a couple of decent scrapers. One has a spoke shave worked into it and the brown one is quite thick...
IMG_E3843.JPG

Here are a couple more photos of the hoe and another large blade that I picked up.
2 tools from old barn site.jpg profile of hoe from old barn site.jpg profile of knife from old barn site.jpg

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Twistedsifter

Jan 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what's up! That big blade looks like an adze to me. Glad to see you posting, and those finds are killer!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This point looks like a Snyder's that has undergone several resharpenings.

Attachments

• snyders.jpg
    snyders.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 26

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Some nice points there.

I like the scrapers.

After this serious rain we are having tonight, some relics may be uncovered.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice points there.

I like the scrapers.

After this serious rain we are having tonight, some relics may be uncovered.

I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately, my most productive fields haven't had the dirt worked yet. If I have some free time when the weather's good, I'll be helping to get the rest of the crops harvested so that maybe we can fall chisel the more productive fields to extend the hunting season.

If you're able to walk some of the worked dirt up your way, I wish you luck! You've already had a phenomenal year either way...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post! I appreciate a good presentation with interesting back-story. You add a great deal to the collective here.
Nice clear pictures too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread