South Florida shipwreck. Need help identifying

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004
We have found a great site that has yielded quite a bit on our first dive.? Can anyone confirm what we suspect, 1720's ish?

We have an idea who she is but have a lot of work to do.

This is a large photo that you can zoom on.

I am especially interested in the opinions of the small canon ball, door lock, buckle? and chest medal (it has a pin on back).? The coin is unidentifiable.

http://www.endlesssummer.us/rich/DSC05362.JPG? ?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Re: Key West area shipwreck. Need help identifing

Have you tried to clean the coin to see if taking off the corrosion would help in finding a date?? I am not an expert but some of the nails look more like early to mid 1800's English or American. I'll see if I can't dig up some picts.? Like I said, I am no expert and could be totally wrong!? Maybe someone else has some input

Robert

OP
OP
CaribbeanDiver

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004

The coin has lost its surface and unless I found somone who could detect the inpact of the original stamping, the coin will not help us.

Does anyone have any photos of mid 1700 nails?? I am open to the reality of whatever the ship is but it almost has to be the one we are thinking that went down about 1730.

Thanks

Rich

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

What about the balast pile? Have you measured the length, width, and height? This will also give you clues to its identity. If you know the ship you are looking for and know the length, the balast pile will match closely. Certainly if your pile is only 80-85 feet long and your ship is 110 feet, you know its not it. Knowing the volume or amount of balast can also help you calculate the tonnage of the vessel. How about rigging?

If the vessel you are looking for is Spanish, is the coin a silver cob or a pressed (near round) coin? What size? 1/2,1,2,4, or 8 reale? In 1730's silver coins were just starting to be pressed in near perfectly round shape. If its a cob, it could be earlier.

What are the details of the sinking of your 1730's ship? Foundered or hit a reef? Does the water depth match the circumstances? Known salvage?

Just some ideas. Maybe one of the best clues will be the badge. If you can send me a good closeup picture of it, I have a friend (40 year veteran treasure diver) who is from keywest and may even know the vessel you are looking for. He can certainly identify just about anything you bring up.

Good Luck,
Robert in SC

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Key West area shipwreck. Need help identifying

I notice you mentioned it as a chest medal, but it reminds me of something I seen on the front of a French cap some time ago. Can't remember where though.

OP
OP
CaribbeanDiver

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004
Re: Key West area shipwreck. Need help identifying

Well that is certainly possible. The plot thickens....

:)

Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread