Sovereign GT strikes GOLD 1st park hunt!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Unbelievable luck today!

I took the new Sovereign GT to the park for the first time. Mainly to see how she handles trash. Take it slow and easy. Dig signals I think sound good. School is in session. This machine is a heavy slow tortoise and very highly rated, so when a NIB unit came up I pounced.

A little background. I received the Sov in the mail on Friday afternoon and had it assembled quickly, ready to go. turned it on. few tone checks and shut it off. It was dark and cold by the evening with bone chilling winds. I had to go outside because of EMI. Barely could do air tests and I wondered if something was wrong and needed to confirm proper operation. I was underdressed for the wind wearing a fleece pullover. I got out for about 12 minutes and confirmed it was running very smooth. Machine was set using Gary Drayton’s suggested settings for noob SovGT owners. That’s me! :notworthy:

Ready for tone tests:
assembled.jpg

Welcome to the family!
family-photo.jpg

Saturday I got a few hours at a soybean field and then an adjacent freshly harvested cornfield. I wanted to make sure I could pinpoint with this thing, and I also didn’t want to look like an idiot out in public trying to familiarize with the machine. Pinpointing was a breeze. BANG ON! I was concerned because I've been reading ancient posts... guys new to DD coils I guess. :dontknow:

Edge of the bean field:

GT_maiden_voyage.jpg

Ancient oxbow to the left
GTcornfield_maiden_voyage.jpg

Nothing much was found lead, .22 casings, a .243 shell, and the best thing... a very small piece of cut lead. At least I know it should hit a large stud earing now. Mistakenly for that entire hunt I was not in Auto Sens as I thought I had set it – it was maxed out!

Whoops! :censored: But it ran smooth as silk with not one peep of iron or EMI …silent with a smooth as glass threshold. Nulling yes, but not one false signal. Amazing! 8-)

So, today I go to local park to take a very casual hunt/stroll. After ground balancing, my first signal sounds good enough, so I dig and end up with the religious pin from 4 inches, right near the playground. "Light Of Christ". Sounded like 2” deep to me and I was a little short on retrieval at first. Cool, I think to myself. I sarcastically hope this machine only finds good stuff and no trash! :laughing7: Perhaps in the least it might make it easier to recognize.

I stroll around the trees and picnic area for a bit. Dig some clad coins. And then the ring pulls appeared. They sounded good too! After 15 or so ring pulls and a few unusual signals that turned out rusty crown caps, I noticed a certain undertone to the ring pulls. I guess “tinny” characteristic. Similar to the Deus on aluminum. The bottle caps were easier to ID by tone and I only dug a few more of those signals the rest of the hunt.

I decided to move off Into the wooded areas. Just swinging and listening along the way. First signal was ten feet in, and I about had my eardrums blown in by a massive signal from an already long drawn out audio response. Turned out to be the toy gun at 3”. That’s like my 5th one this year. When’s the real one come?!

Messed around in the woods digging more ring pulls. Some rang in loud and clear, and I would dig a full Raptor sized plug, up to the bottom of the handle, and the ring pull would still be another 2 inches deeper! Some were even on edge at depth. I like that! Now if I could only stop digging those sweet sounding ring pulls! :BangHead:

Out the woods and back across the park to hit an area where there used to be an old tree and is now a circular depression. I came to this spot because I found my only silver coin from this park at this location. I have pounded this 50’ diameter area around the depression with multiple machines/coils. There isn’t any silver left, or I didn’t find any, but I did hit on a nickel/wheat penny spill within feet of that depression. Pulled them from a conservative 7” and they sounded nice and clear too. 8-)

20 feet away I’m hearing those ring pull signals on and off again. I’m skipping them looking for different signals. Dug a foil ball that was scratchy at 5”. Oh! That’ll be enough of the scratchy signals for now, I think to myself. :thumb_down:

3 more sweeps from the foil and I get a “different” tone. It sounded like those ring pulls except without the edge to it. A more complete, full tone. I thought maybe this is my Sov’s first nickel.

Dig a plug deeper than I thought I'd need because I catch on quick, and what reveals itself? The elusive gold! Ended a more than 50 day drought right there! :headbang:

I knew immediately. Whipped out the phone camera and took these:

First glimpse.
in-situ.jpg

New lover already trying to come between my wife and I. It fits too!
married-couple.jpg

In a way I wish I had not found gold with the Sovereign GT on my first park hunt. ??? Tough bar to overcome I think.

I was intending to wind down the hunt, but the ring find blew that plan to shreds. I stuck around another hour hoping to hear one more full sounding tone. Wasn't happening. :sadsmiley:

The rest of the hunt, as it goes, was somewhat of a let down. Ring pulls galore. It’s hard to top gold, but I did recover some very small denim rivets at depth, so I was impressed with that. The Sovereign GT is more than enough sensitive for my purposes. And so the saga goes on...

All targets recovered.
allGT-finds.jpg

All marked up!
makersmarks.jpg

Weigh-in
weight.jpg

The parting shot.
parting-shot.jpg

*edit*
Found the same ring here $580!

Anyway, thank you for peeking.

Last edited:
Upvote 11

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a good read....
Congratulations on ending your gold drought...nice ring!

Now that I think of it....my drought is what 14 months now?:censored:

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a good read....
Congratulations on ending your gold drought...nice ring!

Now that I think of it....my drought is what 14 months now?:censored:

Thank you. I'm glad the gold has finally shown up again. It gets discouraging after a while and I mix it up relic hunting lately.

I hope you get some soon! :occasion14:

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on a superb gold find! Nothing like it.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Found out a bit of info on the ring from right here on Tnet. 1st google result. :icon_thumright:

www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/90039-14k-fg-solved.html

Then found an identical ring on a jewlers website listed at $580.00! http://www.cornellsjewelers.com/designers/frederick-goldman/frederick-goldman-14kt-yellow-gold-ring-480093.html Whoooo hoo!

And the pin...

A tiger cub or wolf cub scout program developed by the Catholic church in conjunction with the Boy Scouts of America.

lightofchrist-color.gif

Last edited:

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice man, I love the sovereign GT I have found a lot of gold with that machine and still I.M.O its the deepest Minelab machine....:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice man, I love the sovereign GT I have found a lot of gold with that machine and still I.M.O its the deepest Minelab machine....:icon_thumleft:

There is one thing I already love, love, love about the Sovereign - that sweet variable tone threshold!

I was giggling inside after experiencing the threshold indicate a tone on on discriminated targets and thinking, "why doesn't my V3i have this type of threshold feedback"? Simply wonderful feature.

I also love the high resolution below copper. Seems like it was designed for gold jewelry!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one thing I already love, love, love about the Sovereign - that sweet variable tone threshold!

I was giggling inside after experiencing the threshold indicate a tone on on discriminated targets and thinking, "why doesn't my V3i have this type of threshold feedback"? Simply wonderful feature.

I also love the high resolution below copper. Seems like it was designed for gold jewelry!
Yes very true, its also hits hard on nickels I think that's why its so good with gold, and I do love the sound witch is called pitch hold. The Explorer SE also has pitch hold, the sovereign GT is a truly a great machine..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice read Deft, looks like you have one heck of an arsenal to pick from. I was looking at the Sovereign GT, but more for shallow water and beach hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread