Spanish American War medal

van Gogh

Jun 1, 2005
-*- Iowa -*-
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum, Minelab Explorer II, strong back and a weak mind
Howdy. I am new to the forum as a poster but have been reading and enjoying other posters comments and tips for some time now.
During a recent hunt near a veterans care facility I was fortunate enough to find a Spanish American War medal. To say the least, I was surprised. It's kind of humbling really when you think that someone earned this medal for risking their life for what they felt was a great a cause, something they really believed in. I had certainly not earned the honor of possessing it so I went ahead and took it over to the nearby veterans facility to turn it in, hoping to find the family of the honoree. Note the medal was not engraved with a name as many of them were not. The Commandant's administrative assistant was very excited to get the medal and was going to do her best to track records to see if anyone had reported one lost over time. If they were unable to find who it belonged to she said they would place it in a museum they have on their campus. Good deal!
Anyway, wanted to share this with everyone and I hope it brings you some enjoyment seeing it as well!

I also found a button at the same location. Can anyone help identify it? It is marked Waterbury Scoville MF'G Co.

Thanks for your help and an extra special thanks to all of our military veterans and active personel.

Have a good one and HH'ing.

Attachments

• DSC05120.JPG
    DSC05120.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 742
  • DSC05121.JPG
    DSC05121.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 730
  • DSC05115.JPG
    DSC05115.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 713
  • DSC05119.JPG
    DSC05119.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 721
Upvote 1

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice medal and button! Giving it to the Soldier's home just opened up hours of detecting for you, probably several other nice finds there as well! HH, Mike

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA
I would contact this guy if it were my button . mailto:[email protected]

If he hasn't seen it before , he may be interested enough find out what it is . That button is of the same construction as one I dug and researched and it was adopted as a military design in 1832 ( Pre Civil War ) . Doing the research is the end run in this Hobie ; So here's to your impending touchdown .

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's guys like you that give the rest of us a good name! Really neat find and a very good deed.

Kent

OP
OP
van Gogh

van Gogh

Jun 1, 2005
-*- Iowa -*-
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum, Minelab Explorer II, strong back and a weak mind
No worries SparklyStuff. I was just happy to see them take the find as seriously as I did. Imagine the thrill the family would have getting the medal returned to them out of the blue. :)

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Van Gogh to the forum ! Congrats on finding and returning the metal ! You did the right thing, plus it gave you a good place to continue hunting. Keep up the good work ! Good Luck in your future hunts !

Huntin' 59er

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, thats a neat story...never done anything that great with my finds

-GC

Maka

Greenie
Nov 17, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American forces in Cuba during the Spanish American War came from different States. Each State had its own uniform, so tracking that button might be difficult if it is SAW vintage.
Good finds. Better what you did with them Van Gogh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread