Specimen/Crystalline/Leaf gold or just plain gold?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple nuggets I found a couple years ago.

IMG_2382.jpg

This piece was found about 3" down.
I have seen nuggets like this advertised as crystalline gold.
I'm of the impression that it's simply a case where the host rock has dissolved away leaving some character to the gold, which was rounded and softened as it developed from a specimen to a placer nugget.
Opinions?

IMG_0830.jpg

This piece is unique because I found it by simply eyeballing.
First time and it hasn't happened again (yet).
I have seen pieces like this described as leaf gold.
In this case, since it was found in discarded tailings, I think the host rock was blasted neatly away from the vein, leaving a surface that mirrored the surface of the host rock fissure.
Unique but not leaf gold.
Opinions?

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
First pic looks like it might have been to be crystalline gold at one time, but not anymore. Too much wear and erosion.

Leaf gold would be relatively thin and fairly flat - but not meaning like a pancake. 2nd pic might be leaf but I'd need to see the piece from the other end, similar angle, and maybe a peek at the bottom side. Beautiful pieces - BOTH of them! I like the 2nd pic best. Very beautiful!!

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i just call it trophy gold, it seems that phrase sets folks on edge.

nice crystalin trophys

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just call it trophy gold, it seems that phrase sets folks on edge.

nice crystalin trophys

I'm not sure I have followed that whole controversy seems like it had something to do with the phrase "real miner" or something to that affect.

Doesn't bother me at all - I worked hard for it and I don't have any chips on my shoulder.
I'm lucky to be able to keep the best stuff for now..

I don't think either is crystalin gold.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In my diggin of hard rock I have found pieces in voids that have ground out of the vein by ground movement of the zone, it falls out no country rock attached, you asked if it was crystalin or what, I say both are, one is slightly worn, it all was born from rock all the stuff I have ever found in the ground in rock even the tiny stuff shows crystalin stucture.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Righteous specimen gold for sure as, in my book to me, just fine the way it is. Names mean zilch as he who has the gold can call those beautiful pieces anything he wants. Semi wire/and semi leaf but ALL GOLD is what really matters. Congratulations as definitely some to covet-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread