Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brethren of the coil. The year 2015 saw our rank and file swell as our global community expanded. As members of this universal fraternity it is our sworn duty to welcome, support and educate newbies to the nuances of evolving into a full fledged digaholic. Let not pride, prejudice nor our preconceived notions bar us from this quest.
Take a moment to consider the ramifications of not adhering to this principle. Chaos. Utter chaos! Neanderthal newbies foraging federally protected sites, digging up private property without consent; leaving holes with no remorse. The neophytes of our great past time must be nurtured, no indoctrinated to the code of ethics least we all suffer the consequences.
For the veterans let this be a year of revitalization of the kindred spirit of the young boy seeking that buried pirate treasure. A year of reuniting with friends, hunting buddies and local clubs. A year of reciprocation. Giving back to this great hobby that has touched each and every one of it's practitioners in a positive light. God protect and give us guidance in this life long pursuit.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brethren of the coil. The year 2015 saw our rank and file swell as our global community expanded. As members of this universal fraternity it is our sworn duty to welcome, support and educate newbies to the nuances of evolving into a full fledged digaholic. Let not pride, prejudice nor our preconceived notions bar us from this quest.
Take a moment to consider the ramifications of not adhering to this principle. Chaos. Utter chaos! Neanderthal newbies foraging federally protected sites, digging up private property without consent; leaving holes with no remorse. The neophytes of our great past time must be nurtured, no indoctrinated to the code of ethics least we all suffer the consequences.
For the veterans let this be a year of revitalization of the kindred spirit of the young boy seeking that buried pirate treasure. A year of reuniting with friends, hunting buddies and local clubs. A year of reciprocation. Giving back to this great hobby that has touched each and every one of it's practitioners in a positive light. God protect and give us guidance in this life long pursuit.

Waaaalll, that's some mighty purty speechifyin', thar, Mister. Seems to me, there's no denyin' the righteousness of yer words. Seems like them's some sentiments we all could get behind. Problem is.... from what I've experienced in the 1 year + that I've been hangin' round these here parts, is there's a little bit ya'll left off.... "as long as we veteren bretheren of the coil in no way, shape, or form have to actually meet a newbie face-to-face, for they shall ever and always be lookin' to poach our secret spots, steal our undug riches, and lay waste to the land upon which we so righteously have laid claim to yea all these generations a-past."

In fact, on our other forum, the Canuck one, some even went so far as to admit that newbies were generally scorned, ignored, and left to their own devices - as a rule.... because of the fear of losing favourite spots to the unscrupulous... it was simply a foregone conclusion that that would happen. I myself have been promised outings for over a full calendar year by one particular member (not mentioning any names) and never once has it come to pass. Others have remained absolutely silent when I've posted about meeting up for a hunt, or the where-abouts of a club, or the possibility of a group dig, etc.

Sure, many many forum members are absolutely fantastic about giving advice on the forums, and help is never more than a post away which is always very much appreciated, and encouragement and fellowship flows readily in every thread... but typed words on a computer screen only go so far. You can "tell" someone how to properly swing a coil, or the correct way to dig a plug, or properly fill a hole, or how to pop a coin with a screwdriver... but that doesn't actually help much in the practical sense. SHOW someone how it's done - and the lesson sticks.

I realize that nobody owes anyone else anything.... but if yer gonna talk the talk, then walk the walk. Invite a newb out on a dig.... it doesn't have to be that new virgin acreage you spent the last 5 years researching and 2 years getting permission for.... just take them to the old lot you've hit 100 times and spend some time with them, share your wisdom, swing the coils and find some pulltabs and canslaw... it'd mean the world to someone who's maybe shy or hesitant to get out there on their own, or who has no idea how to research or how to spot a likely area to hunt. If nothing else, maybe you'll make a new friend. Or you could find a hunting partner for years to come. We're not all sketchy, sneaking weasels, after all.

That, Mister, is how to grow the hobby. Thankin' ya'll kindly, and no disrespect intended.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread