Steady threshold on Tejon

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, I have a Tejon that I cannot get to hold a steady threshold hum. Is this normal? I had a Lobo Super Traq and had no trouble getting a steady threshold with it. With the Tejon in All Metal, the hum does not stay steady as I swing it. I ground balance according to the manual and it does great in discriminate mode, but I would like to get that extra depth in all metal that I have heard so much about. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. steve

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about it. That's how they all are. I've had 4.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should read the book as it explains all. Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors - Kindle edition by C. Thorsten. Crafts, Hobbies & Home Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
Tejon book.PNG TEJON.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Dan B and Sandman. I have the book that Sandman recommended. I can get the ground balance but do not get the steady threshold hum like I had on my Lobo. What I have been trying is to ground balance and the back off the threshold until it goes quiet. Then swing away and listen. I've only done this in my driveway practicing on coins. It seems to work so far. I'll let ya'll know how it does in the field as soon as I get a chance. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Steve

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link again Sandman. I finally bought it a a read it last night and this morning. I may have to try a Vaquero again since my elbow is acting up from swinging heavy machines. I like the CZ-5 a lot other than the balance and weight. It reminds me of the Tesoros with multiple tones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan B , How did you use yours in all metal? Thanks Steve

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a number of detectors. For 20 years I only kept one and one for the wife and back up but this time since I got back into detecting I have wanted to enjoy using a number of machines. I usually hunt c.w. relics with a Vaquero if the targets aren't too deep. I have a Tejon. I love the features. The threshold is screwed. And the ground balance is non existent at times. Sometimes the G.B. has no sweet spot what so ever . The machine goes damn deep but I never have it in a good state of tune like the Vaquero. I have the book ...what page does it discuss this ? I dont worry about not being properly tuned...I know I have it close and a Tejon set on a 4 sensitivity is hotter than most even if it is slightly out of tune. I will tell you what I will do. The weather is nice here in Chattanooga and if want to come for a civil war tour and you can help me with this Tejon

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Tejon but never used it in any hot soil. I wish I hadn't sold it now. I did find it easier to GB in fast retune (with pinpoint trigger pulled).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually don't have a problem getting it to ground balance but it will not hold a steady threshold hum. I live in southern Virginia. I sure wish there was someone around here with a Tejon that really knows how to use it, that I could get up with . steve

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually don't have a problem getting it to ground balance but it will not hold a steady threshold hum. I live in southern Virginia. I sure wish there was someone around here with a Tejon that really knows how to use it, that I could get up with . steve
I've hunted in VA one time. I know the ground can change drastically in just a few feet in that highly conductive ground. I was using a GPX and still GB 3-4 times per hour. A saw guys with VLF's that were ground balancing very 4-5 minutes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions