Stick with the Vaquero or get a Tejon?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The set-up:

I primarily use the high end machines such as my CTX or Deus. Many years ago I detected exclusively with the Cibola and later I used a Vaquero for almost a year; so I have an affinity for those machines. I will still occasionally bring my Vaquero although, more times I carry it as a back up and end up using the CTX exclusively.

Here is my question:

I still make some decent finds with the Vaquero and I have the tendency to thumb back and forth on the discrimination knob to determine if I want to dig a target or not because I am mostly in trashy spots. I have never thought about "upgrading" to a Tejon, but after talking with Rusty Henry last month concerning depth (stated 20% increase over the Vaquero) and then asked him the question concerning dual discrimination modes on the Tejon. The Tejon has interested me because of these two features, but I am just not convinced that I should purchase it, especially when the Vaquero seems to fit my Tesoro nitch.

Honestly, I am on the fence on getting another machine, and I will probably have to have a heck of a deal to get into a Tejon. I was just wanting folk's input on both machines.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both machines and own several Tesoro's and depending on your type of hunting I would say you are just fine with your Vaquero. Tejon are finicky in bad soil. Hard to get ground balanced properly for optimal hunting. If you are a relic and bullet hunter though they love them. My Vaquero has found way more silver though. My Vaquero is a very hot one though and it's depth always rivaled my Tejon so decided there was no need for the Tejon. Up to you though.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't need a Tejon with your other machines. You need the 11" x 8" Widescan on your Vaquero.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stick with the Vaquero. I've owned several Vaquero and Tejon detectors and have found that both detectors will detect a silver dime at approximately the same depth. Rusty is correct, the Tejon will detect nickels, buttons and bullets a little bit deeper than the Vaquero will.

I'm not a 'thumber', I'm a digger, because a nail or piece of trash next to a silver coin will defeat any detector when it comes to giving a proper ID. The best book to read for any brand detector owner is 'Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors' - Kindle Edition.

Terry is right about you getting 11 x 8 inch search coil for your Vaquero. It's very light, it covers a lot of ground with each sweep, it separates well and has good depth. It's great for larger open areas. Personally, I prefer the Tesoro 5 x 10 inch DD search coil or the NEL Sharpshooter coin since I mainly detect smaller trashier sites.

I think everyone who has ever dealt with Rusty Henry will all agree his the best of the best. They don't come any better.

tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had both machines and own several Tesoro's and depending on your type of hunting I would say you are just fine with your Vaquero. Tejon are finicky in bad soil. Hard to get ground balanced properly for optimal hunting. If you are a relic and bullet hunter though they love them. My Vaquero has found way more silver though. My Vaquero is a very hot one though and it's depth always rivaled my Tejon so decided there was no need for the Tejon. Up to you though.

I totally agree.

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had several of both and like the vaquero better overall.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I trust you guy's opinion. I just never used a Tejon and I wasn't sure if I would need one or not. I'm thinking about hanging up my higher end machines for awhile and use the Vaquero a lot more. I also have a digging partner that thinks the only reason I can outdo him is because I use the expensive Minelab "cadillac". I would love to prove him wrong while using this little light machine that runs off a single 9 volt battery.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The main thing is to TRUST the Vaquero. If you just want silver MAX out the Discrimination, and run your gain (sensitivity) between 8-9. If you want gold, set your discrimination to Nickel, and drop the gain to between 7-8. Don't dig signals that won't repeat side to side, or front to back. Unless it gives a good tone s-to-s AND f-to-b, don't dig it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Terry. I can not add to this post.:thumbsup:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I own a Tejon and would say No. I love the Tejon but I don't think you would gain enough to justify the money. I believe the only thing you would gain is the second discrimation knob and maybe a little depth. I agree with Terry and Tabman about the 11x8 coil. I bought one, put it on, and have never taken it off.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have a few questions also please..... When I started the hobby I went directly from an ACE 250 to the Tejon. I was in over my head and struggled with the machine. I would say that I got about 75-80% good with it. I remember working a relic site with a fellow hunter and he could spank me with that last extra bit of depth from his Vaquero because he knew what he was doing, and I was 50/50 with the T. Then I got an AT Pro. I never really got ''good'' with the Tejon, but I still did well with finds. I also know for a fact that it goes deep and is quite sensitive, so I kept it. It has not been used for a few years now and I am thinking of breaking it out again this year, particularly because of that new 11x8 DD coil that came out. I am now in a moderate to heavily mineralized soil region, which is primarily were the Tejon would be used. I am assuming that the new 11x8 would give me some extra punch over the stock concentric in this mineralized soil. But what I am also wondering about is will I gain any depth advantage in the very mild rich black loam in other areas that I check occasionally ? Or will I be getting the same depth with the new 11x8 (in mild soil), as I do with the factory concentric ? I do realize that I would gain in coverage due to the larger DD coil. Any opinions/insight is appreciated. Thanks.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have a few questions also please..... When I started the hobby I went directly from an ACE 250 to the Tejon. I was in over my head and struggled with the machine. I would say that I got about 75-80% good with it. I remember working a relic site with a fellow hunter and he could spank me with that last extra bit of depth from his Vaquero because he knew what he was doing, and I was 50/50 with the T. Then I got an AT Pro. I never really got ''good'' with the Tejon, but I still did well with finds. I also know for a fact that it goes deep and is quite sensitive, so I kept it. It has not been used for a few years now and I am thinking of breaking it out again this year, particularly because of that new 11x8 DD coil that came out. I am now in a moderate to heavily mineralized soil region, which is primarily were the Tejon would be used. I am assuming that the new 11x8 would give me some extra punch over the stock concentric in this mineralized soil. But what I am also wondering about is will I gain any depth advantage in the very mild rich black loam in other areas that I check occasionally ? Or will I be getting the same depth with the new 11x8 (in mild soil), as I do with the factory concentric ? I do realize that I would gain in coverage due to the larger DD coil. Any opinions/insight is appreciated. Thanks.

If i were you i would definately get the new 11x8 coil.....It is a great coil! Mine done a little better in the nasty ground over stock on my Vaquero, but coverage was a big improvement! Only downside was bottlecaps....but its a DD coil so you will have that. That good soil is where that Tejon is going to get awesome depth! I found the Vaquero too handle the nasty stuff a little better.

Mr Steve

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2016
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, how does changing the sensitivity help in finding different coins? I've read elsewhere that you should always run it maxed out if possible. I just go to parks & other public places.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, how does changing the sensitivity help in finding different coins? I've read elsewhere that you should always run it maxed out if possible. I just go to parks & other public places.

You have to think of gain (sensitivity) like the old "squelch" dial on your CB radio. On some rainy days you had to add in a lot of squelch to remove the static from your reception. But if you added too much, you went to all static and couldn't hear anything.

Gain or Sensitivity works the same way. In Neutral soils you can crank your sensitivity to max most of the time with good results (depth). However, if the soil is moderately mineralized, you may actually lose depth by maxing out your gain.

So called “Super Tuning” is really just a load of crap. Try super tuning in red soils or black sand situations. On a good metal detector, the controls and settings work TOGETHER. Ground balance and sensitivity MUST be in tune and working together for the best depth.

As a new Vaquero user, try this. Before you ground balance, always set your sensitivity to 6. Ground balance your machine normally, then raise your sensitivity to 7.5 and leave it there. Go over ground you have already hunted and see what you find or don't find.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread