Stone and Brass Points, Wampum, Trade Beads, Pottery

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So today was my first time out to my contact era site in a while and by the looks of it no one else has been there in a while. I set a goal for myself before I got there that I would find 2 beads, 2 Stone points, and 2 Brass points. I had a pretty good day and surpassed my goal! I never found a disc wampum as large as today, about the size of a dime. Because of my screen name I think I may use that as my avatar, only took me 6 years to choose an avatar... The first find was about 20 minutes in and it was a brass point followed by a second about 5 feet away. The three of them were made by the Native Americans by cutting up the brass trade kettles. The best was the two beads sitting on the hillside about a foot and a half apart untouched. I think the particular traders at this site were French and from what I'm told was dated 1610-1620.

I am not sure what the clay item is with the hole in it. At first I thought pipe bowl till I picked it up. The hole goes straight through and has another smaller hole intersecting that hole. All ideas appreciated.

I included some of my kettle scrap and some pottery I found today, the other half I gave to my 3 year old daughter to add to her junk collection or "dunk" as she calls it. I'm trying to help her develop an interest and respect for history. First step is to get her to stop calling it all junk...

Edit. Forgot to mention the blue blob is a cluster of melted beads and you may have to look closely to spot the items in the pics.

2 beads.jpg IMG_20170827_141702.jpg IMG_20170827_104623.jpg IMG_20170827_153815.jpg IMG_20170827_211708.jpg IMG_20170827_142224.jpg IMG_20170827_142915.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 19

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done of the recoveries, liking the brass and beads.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My parents hunted arrowheads. My Dad was particularly good at it. I think he would have enjoyed hunting your fields and vise versa.

OP
OP
W

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish it was a field. It's the steepest cliff I've ever been on... In fact my Deus decided to take a ride about 50' down.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting finds....thanks for sharing !!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish it was a field. It's the steepest cliff I've ever been on... In fact my Deus decided to take a ride about 50' down.

Ha ha! Great places to find lost artifacts is on steep slopes where folks have taken a tumble and lost their stuff. Just don't take a tumble yourself mate. Great recoveries and due diligence to get at them.:icon_salut:

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!!!!! Just curios, are the two round shell beads to the left considered wampum? I found some small shell pieces that were drilled. The pieces I found are not round. Would they be considered wampum? Great hunt, I hope you go back!!! Those beads are incredible!!!
I googled wampum, quite interesting. ...

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Nice to see early native American contact period artifacts coming out of Pennsylvania.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding very good stuff at such an early site.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great finds, not common.

OP
OP
W

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds!!!!! Just curios, are the two round shell beads to the left considered wampum? I found some small shell pieces that were drilled. The pieces I found are not round. Would they be considered wampum? Great hunt, I hope you go back!!! Those beads are incredible!!!
I googled wampum, quite interesting. ...

Thank you all for liking the finds! Yes those are wampum. I know that there are at least 2 types of wampum, tube and disc and they come in various sizes. They also come in 2 colors, white which is more common and purple which is more uncommon and was more valuable to the NA when used as currency. Disc wampum I believe were also more valuable. I have found both ranging in sizes from an 1/8 in to 1/2 in disk and 1/4 inch length tubes.

@ Steve - Unfortunately these are finger lakes area finds and it is a rare occasion I go up there, two hours one way...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions