Stone War Club

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I got a second day out with my new Manticore. In regards to that, I will briefly say I'm impressed with the machine after logging in 9 months with a new Equinox 900. More on that later. I found a bunch of interesting objects including a buckle, buttons, axe head, musket balls, and an 1864 Indian Head penny. Lead in ceramic glaze resulted in finding several old broken pieces. I was near a cell tower and major electric trunk lines. The Manticore successfully tamed that noise floor.

I was detecting in a mature forest which was cultivated during the early 1700's colonial period through to WWII. This is clearly indicated on maps I have from the 1830's and 1870's. Also, it's easy to see land that was once heavily cultivated by colonials. Over time they picked out most of the rocks and even small stones. I had a strong deep signal which turned out to be a silver colonial button at 6" depth. Near this, I happened to see a stone partially buried in the leaf litter. The stone is very dense green/black quartz and polished to near perfect symmetry. Slippery to hold, it doesn't have peck marks like a hammerstone nor striations found on a grinding stone. Previously I had found three copper arrowheads nearby plus assorted lithics.

Attachments

• war club.jpg
    war club.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Upvote 16

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a nice chuckin rock. I can definitely believe you aren't the first person to pick it up. It's hard to prove anything unless you have good context (ie you found it in a midden or in the middle of other artifacts)

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice chuckin rock. I can definitely believe you aren't the first person to pick it up. It's hard to prove anything unless you have good context (ie you found it in a midden or in the middle of other artifacts)
After looking at examples in local museums, and the fact it was found in an area of previous Indian habitation, I feel pretty certain that is what it is. Since the colonials starting tilling the soil soon after arrival in 1650, deep stuff has been churned upwards. Returning to forest in the past 70 years has allowed soil to wash clean the rocks towards the surface. It's not as though it was found in area strewn with rocks and I am searching for the right shape. It's too smooth and perfectly shaped quartz with a high density.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I got a second day out with my new Manticore. In regards to that, I will briefly say I'm impressed with the machine after logging in 9 months with a new Equinox 900. More on that later. I found a bunch of interesting objects including a buckle, buttons, axe head, musket balls, and an 1864 Indian Head penny. Lead in ceramic glaze resulted in finding several old broken pieces. I was near a cell tower and major electric trunk lines. The Manticore successfully tamed that noise floor.

I was detecting in a mature forest which was cultivated during the early 1700's colonial period through to WWII. This is clearly indicated on maps I have from the 1830's and 1870's. Also, it's easy to see land that was once heavily cultivated by colonials. Over time they picked out most of the rocks and even small stones. I had a strong deep signal which turned out to be a silver colonial button at 6" depth. Near this, I happened to see a stone partially buried in the leaf litter. The stone is very dense green/black quartz and polished to near perfect symmetry. Slippery to hold, it doesn't have peck marks like a hammerstone nor striations found on a grinding stone. Previously I had found three copper arrowheads nearby plus assorted lithics.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations. That is as fine an example of a NA artifact as I have ever seen. Beautiful. I beats about any coin you might locate...IMHO ;-)

vfm

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More angles. The density, weight, and hardness of this quartzite are impressive. They really knew how to select the optimal stone. Slippery to the point of being difficult to hold. I love it.

Attachments

• war club1.jpg
    war club1.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 16
  • war club2.jpg
    war club2.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 14
  • war club3.jpg
    war club3.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 15
  • war club 4.jpg
    war club 4.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it’s a war club, how would you attach it to a handle?
A combination of leather and sinew wrap. Applied wet and pulled taut it then shrinks tight.

Attachments

• 20231028_201543.jpg
    20231028_201543.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A combination of leather and sinew wrap. Applied wet and pulled taut it then shrinks tight.
The regional Indian Museum not far from where I found it has a near exact match in their collection. Same material.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231027_235055_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_235055_Chrome~2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 12

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I'm convinced, I've never seen one like that, all the ones I've seen from around here have some form of groove. That's an awesome find.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are not man made. They are formed by lying in a bowl in a river or stream for many years. We find them along the Savannah river. They were found and used by the Native Americans.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are not man made. They are formed by lying in a bowl in a river or stream for many years. We find them along the Savannah river. They were found and used by the Native Americans.
We don't have rivers or significant elevation here on eastern Long Island, NY. But the local Natives were prolific wampum producers and did get trade items in return. This stone has a ground smooth texture unlike river wash. You can see the areas which were ground more than others to produce its symmetry.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This stone has a ground smooth texture unlike river wash.
How can you tell? Abrasion and grinding is always going to look like abrasion and grinding, whether it was done by a river, a hand, or a glacier. I've seen tons of river rock that has been polished round and smooth like this, so I know rivers can make this sort of thing.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell? Abrasion and grinding is always going to look like abrasion and grinding, whether it was done by a river, a hand, or a glacier. I've seen tons of river rock that has been polished round and smooth like this, so I know rivers can make this sort of thing.
I agree that rivers do make such rocks. It has a smoothness yet some porosity in areas which water would not do. The water worn or glacial surface is smooth. But the areas that were knocked down to symmetry have the porosity. It was found in an area of habitation with fresh water and shell middens nearby, yet this type of stone is uncommon in that area. I have a microscope with camera will take a closer look for micro abrasions. Interesting to note the regional museum has a matching piece obtained through in situ excavations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread