strange halves results

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
picked up 4 boxes of halves today, and had some strange results. maybe one of you guys who has been doing this for a long time can explain......

box1- 1967
box2-1969
box3-1968
box4 is where it gets strange. I got to about the 20th roll and had not found a single silver yet. this particular roll had a coin hunters mark facing up. Open up the roll and bingo 6 beautiful 1964's and a nice 1963 franklin. after that not a single silver coin. I found this very strange. to find 7- 90% coins in one roll and not a single other silver coin :icon_scratch:. Oh and yes i was happy with that just confused.

Upvote 0

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I had something like that happen to me a few months ago. 5 coins in one roll, 2 of which were bens and the other 3 were 40%ers. The rest of the box didn't have anything else in it. I have no idea how that happens. My only guess would be that the single roll was either the first or last roll packed into the box and what ever was before or after the box was probably LOADED with silver....or thats what I keep telling myself haha.

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(7) 90 percent is really nice. Good Job!!!

thanks it was a nice surprise to get 7 90 percent in one box and not a single 40 percent. i will take that any day! however still having half a case left to search i really thought i was gonna find a bunch of 90 percent. oh well cant complain.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I subscribe to the idea that silver (in amongst the clad) is dumped from one container to another, but usually not stirred.

Therefore an occasional "clot" of silver will go down to muzzle of the coin-wrap machine.

Makes sense to me.

Keep on Rollin' !

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same thing happened to me last week 6 64% in 1 roll and a barber 2 more 64 and ?2 40% In the rest of the box. And this is after ? 7 skunks. Piledriver is right its a silver clot. I see it all the time apart of the box is loaded with silver!! Then nothing...

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've noticed ever since I started CRH'ing, silver is usually clustered together. It's happened to me too.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Could it be that the Ag "settles" to the bottom and then gets rolled as a clump?

Crazy, I know, but because the Ag coins are heavier but same dimensions, maybe they could settle to the bottom of a hopper if agitated - don't know, just speculating.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've experienced similar boxes as well. I think it is simply that in the coin hopper the silver is heavier and clusters.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was marked, maybe somebody got the box of a lifetime ... then left one roll for the next guy, just to screw with you.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've experienced similar boxes as well. I think it is simply that in the coin hopper the silver is heavier and clusters.

I have thought that too, but came to the conclusion that the friction between coins would largely negate that effect. I suspect when CWRs, etc are dumped into the machine the coins tend to stay in relative proximity to one another. I also had a roll with 5 coins and the other 49 rolls skunk.

Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya i know what you mean i had two rolls marked "no silver" on them . I opened them anyways and both rolls are 40% silvers all of them! Then yesterday i gt two rolls and Bingo! Another roll full of silver. I dont understand i know someone is using my bank to hunt but i guess they dont relize or know about the 40% Ken coins or something

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya i know what you mean i had two rolls marked "no silver" on them . I opened them anyways and both rolls are 40% silvers all of them! Then yesterday i gt two rolls and Bingo! Another roll full of silver. I dont understand i know someone is using my bank to hunt but i guess they dont relize or know about the 40% Ken coins or something

that is strange however mine were MWR not CRW. it just so happens there was a half with a coin hunter mark on it as a ender. The name was vombardo or something like that. The 1964s are all in AU condition

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
The Infamous Tom Lardo again!

What evil lurks in the heart of men?

What nefarious scheme could he be up to now?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread