Strange Rock

lvnthelife

Greenie
May 13, 2017
Western Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone

This is a rock I found a while back (well one of many) and I am not sure what is. The photo is of one specimen.

0313180956_HDR.jpg

I know there are fossils in it. Its super heavy maybe full of iron. Couldnt get a clear picture but its covered in tiny orange and red crystals. The tiny crystals have perfect terminations on them. Not sure if thats the right term. This one os about the size of the inside of a coffee can.

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, without closer pictures with good clarity it is impossible to tell you anything definitive about the crystals. As far as the rock, you say you see fossils in it? If so, it is likely limestone. It's possible that is a very very old rock, and the organic material in the limestone may have been replaced by silica a.k.a. quartz. With the color of it, I'm thinking your assumption of iron content is correct.

If my assumption (and it's definitely an assumption) is correct, it is partially quartz replaced limestone high in iron content. The crystals (another heavy assumption) will probably either be calcite or ferruginous quartz (quartz with iron inclusion).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lvnthelife

Greenie
May 13, 2017
Western Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limestone with marine fossils.

I agree with the limestone and marine fossils. Ive just never seen so much iron in the limestone around here.

0313181640a.jpg

Just try I g to get a better pic of the crystals. A lot of quartz. Then the red and orange crystals.

Thanks for the input

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread