Strong Detection Coming From Only Two Directions

sea.thunter7

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a White's TM 808 and I'm getting a clear detection coming from two directions, but when I come from the other two directions its hard to pick up the same signal. Why is that? Could it be because the object is deep underground, right on the edge of the device's maximum penetration capability? Does it have to do with the form of the magnetic field the White's is creating? I wish I could understand more about the form of the field and how the ground effects it. Can anyone weigh in with the facts? Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wires under ground can do that
but coins on edge can too - I have more than a few examples
but one of my last - I was hitting an old town common that had been hit 100s of times by 100s
of hunters over the yrs - we went there with newer machines and cranked our sensitivity and slowed
our pace - trying to get max depth and see if others had missed stuff deep - deep seated coins and
coppers have come out of here - I got a signal like you mention - readable from left to right but when I
tried to pinpoint better by changing my position - it was in and out - it was not terribly faint and wondered
if it was just an odd piece of junk others had discriminated - dug anyways and it was a 1932 sil.wash.
straight on edge - could not believe it - it was like 6-7 ins down but others should have hit it.
I try to dig it all - if possible - then you never have to wonder what you might have missed

OP
OP
S

sea.thunter7

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
wires under ground can do that
but coins on edge can too - I have more than a few examples
but one of my last - I was hitting an old town common that had been hit 100s of times by 100s
of hunters over the yrs - we went there with newer machines and cranked our sensitivity and slowed
our pace - trying to get max depth and see if others had missed stuff deep - deep seated coins and
coppers have come out of here - I got a signal like you mention - readable from left to right but when I
tried to pinpoint better by changing my position - it was in and out - it was not terribly faint and wondered
if it was just an odd piece of junk others had discriminated - dug anyways and it was a 1932 sil.wash.
straight on edge - could not believe it - it was like 6-7 ins down but others should have hit it.
I try to dig it all - if possible - then you never have to wonder what you might have missed

really appreciate the response.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read somewhere about one-way mineralization. If no one else replies I'll look it up later. Anyway, best I recall is the signal will be bigger than a single target, possibly linear. Sort of a line where the mineralization starts.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've had several good targets do that. One that I remember was a war nickel that signalled one way and nothing the other. The screws in my back do the same thing.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly,understanding WHAT the OP is using is important...not just another detector. It’s a 2 box for locating big sh$t DEEP! I don’t know why it’s happening,but just wanted to clear up the subject for those unfamiliar with the 808...carry on...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread