Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a day.

I've been taking this shortcut into the city for the last 25 years, and out on this long lonely backwoods road, is a cluster of old houses. One of them had an old tavern sign on the side and 1799 for the year. On my way back from Home Depot yesterday, I realized that I had my Deus and all my gear behind the seat, so I sucked it up and turned into the drive.

The place was well cared-for, but no signs of life. As I walked up to press the door bell, I was dive-bombed by a squawking mother robin. I'd seen it before. They pull a nutty when you get too close to their nests. Thing is, I looked all around, and there was no nest, yet this crazy robin kept coming at me. Then I looked up and saw her perfect little nest, with four perfect little beaks sticking out, resting on the porch lantern. I backed away to give her some room.

Then I heard, "Around the back!" Saying "hell-oo-oo" in the sing-songy way they do around here, I was greeted by half a head peering over the back fence like Kilroy was here. Older gent, 70-ish as far as I could tell by the frail but smooth voice and the white hair. I introduced myself, and told him that I just lived over in the next town, and got right to the point, which was to ask permission to hunt his property. Surprisingly, he said sure I could right off the bat. The whole time, never once did he raise his face above the fence. Kinda wierd, but hey.

Come to find out this fella was real nice. He was a retired engineer, and lived at this old tavern since 1967. He showed me where the original road came up across what is now his front lawn, and he showed me where an old barn stood, but it was sold and dismantled and re-erected a few towns over. He told me the deliveries where made at a certain spot by the rock wall along the road, and that I should definitely check there. He showed me the old foundations of the barn, and he showed me where areas were filled and where areas were left untouched. Talk about a wellspring of information!

Now get this, he told me he'd tell his neighbors - all of which had houses which were as old or older than his place! Actually two of his neighbors called him while I was detecting and asked him what was going on. He told them that I was looking for a dead body. LOL!

The guy talked to me so much that I was there for almost two hours, yet I only got about 25 minutes of real detecting, of which I spent on the front lawn and driveway. You can see what I got here. Not much but I am confident that this junk is just the Tavern's robin, trying to scare me away from her real treasures!

I got two wheats (1941, and 1952D) out of all this, and a pewter button. Mixed in is some '80s dimes.

Now get this.

I come around and hailed him again (he was busy gardening), and showed him what I found. He was rather tickled to think that I actually found something. Then he led me across the street to his neighbor's house, and showed me into their house. Apparently they are all super-friendly there, and routinely share meals and watch movies and just enjoy being neighborly. I felt like I was in a time capsule.

The neighbor told me I can detect his place anytime I want. The guy at the tavern told me to come back anytime. He also told me that the house at the end of his property was an old boarding house, and the owner was another friendly neighbor, and that he'd take me there to introduce me next time I came over!

It's no two Morgan's in a hole, and I feel ashamed of posting a picture of such c-c-crap, but I feel like a door had opened today, and I just have t brag about it... well, gloat even... just a little. Of course with my luck, I'll probably never find anything more than a crappy pre-64 Rosie. But... I could probably spend every day there until snow flies, and frankly I think that I'll be stupid if I don't. Virgin ground!

Last edited:
Upvote 29

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You scored big! Congrats! All virgin property nice! GL. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread