Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blood pressure said no way in perdition YOU'RE having that minor surgery today. So they kicked me out. For real. So, not being doped up or anything I came home and had a happy nap. Got about at the crack of 11am and decided to get out detecting, Pressure was perfect OUTSIDE the hospital.

Anyway, found a Civil War Period horseshoe. Now I'm used to looking over my back and watching surroundings. I'm sitting down, looking out at a very old foundation and see this HUGE GRAY DOG nosing around some freshly moved dirt. Funny, no collar on the beast, and in that neighborhood, ALL the dogs have collars. And it was HUGE. Made the biggest German Shepherd I've even seen look small. Probably 110-130 pounds.

And it was two toned grey, no markings like a shepherd at all. It's ears were weird too, not like a shepherd's. And a little raggedy, like it was used to living outside, so methinks? Self what the heck is that? At that point it spotted me. Probably smelled me, as I was not moving. It RUNS away. Nice kitty?

It basically ambled off, in a relatively straight line.

This was a big beast. Coyote, Grey Wolf or mix? Not a dog. What do you think? I tried to get a picture but all I got was a grey blur that is a good 5-6' long.

Upvote 3

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
well...in my experience wolves just do not look all that much like dogs, nor coyotes either....where are you?..a lot of that makes a difference too.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell could have been a large stray dog did you see its snout . Ive ran into foxes snakes found a dead cat once digging a signal that sounded like a half dollar it was its license tag eehhhh! I'm always careful when it comes to animals I saw cujo . I came 6 inches from a deer once it lifted its front leg and made a sound like a sheep I thought it was going to bite me !!!!!!! Just be careful it doesn't have any babies around that area!!!!!!!!
!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real thick bodied, relatively short snout, nothing like the snout on a fox, for sure. Two toned grey. Kinda small ears. Too bad my pic didn't take. Big enough to take down a person. At least 100 pounds, depending on how much was fur. Heavy set animal, but not fat.

And....seen in MARYLAND. Where the Natural Resources folks still tell us there are no mountain lions around, even though one was 30' from me last year (scared me real good) and I chased one across the lawn in the car this year. They run fast.

BTW I have seen a coyote in the wild. This thing was about twice it's size, 1/3 longer at least and 50% thicker in the middle.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad it didn't think you were lunch!
Probably a mix.

Yep, the blood pressure calms down when your detecting.
Mine used to go up every time i had a doctor appt, but was fine at home, she called it "white coat syndrome".

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White coat syndrome prevented surgery. Now the doc is just going to do a simple biopsy and go to lunch. I did keep looking over my shoulder the entire time I was there. Left within the hour. People were around about 100 yards away, though. Had my excellent pointed digging shovel, which unless the monster had rabies, probably would have dissuaded it. It was much bigger than that a coyote I saw a couple years ago. Much bigger than my friend's 70 pound lab. Coyote I saw was just a little smaller than the lab, and I'm glad I wasn't on the menu. Going antiquing tomorrow, I guess.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have three hens. They live outside, but think they should probably be inside creatures. There is a bobcat here also that really, really wants them for lunch. Well, the answer is "no".

Had a bird feeder up too. One day saw bird feathers everywhere and had seen glimpses of the bobcat under my front bushes. I guess it thought the bird feeder was a bird vending machine, so I took the feeder down. Now we're talking 3 FEET from my house! Arrogant little monster!

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smokey, get the BP down, get the procedure done, and keep finding the good stuff. I'll be praying for you.

That said, we have a family around here that have an Ovcharka, a dog that originates in the Caucus area. It is grayish and HUGE. Maybe?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thing was running loose. Who knows? BP was GREAT the rest of the day. Doc is doing the thing in the office under the influence of Tylenol. In June. Must have been real important in the first place, huh???

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danged beast was definitely big enough to take me out.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, I have some blurry pictures of "Bigfoot " but nobody would believe me either. The reason the pictures were blurry is because "Bigfoot " scared the
Cockadoodle out of me.
Maybe you should carry a can of dogfood with you on your next hunt? Don't forget the can opener.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right, can see the headlines now. Detectorist eaten by monster, canned dog food not opened in time. It was not a bigfoot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread