Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I am picking up my last 2 boxes of halves today or tomorrow. I told the bank to stop ordering them for me and I will let them know when I want them again.

There are two reasons, first is that I am going in for a total knee replacement in April on my right knee and they said no driving for 2 months anyway. But the second reason is after 16 skunk boxes this year I have only found 1 90% and 9 40% halves AND I keep getting the same marked coins over and over and over. Someone spent some time marking their coins with a red sharpy on Kennedy's neck. almost half of every box are marked coins.

At this rate I can take the $20 worth of gas a week I spend getting and dumping coins and buy junk silver at the coin store.

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
It happens. My last box was ALL 2023 halves. Previous box from same source (both CU, and Cash Management Service) was 17 40%, including a BU 1970D, plus 7 Benjamins, and 4 die cracks. I only do halves when my CU has them.

Time for more coffee.

DTW

Greenie
Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am picking up my last 2 boxes of halves today or tomorrow. I told the bank to stop ordering them for me and I will let them know when I want them again.

There are two reasons, first is that I am going in for a total knee replacement in April on my right knee and they said no driving for 2 months anyway. But the second reason is after 16 skunk boxes this year I have only found 1 90% and 9 40% halves AND I keep getting the same marked coins over and over and over. Someone spent some time marking their coins with a red sharpy on Kennedy's neck. almost half of every box are marked coins.

At this rate I can take the $20 worth of gas a week I spend getting and dumping coins and buy junk silver at the coin store.
Ben, I know we both search in the same general area, so I too have experienced what you are experiencing with regards to half dollar finds. I've also suspended searching boxes for a while and will focus on customer wrapped. Good luck with the knee replacement and I hope your recovery/rehab goes smoothly.

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also stopped my bank from ordering halves on the 22nd as I had a reverse rotator cuff surgery on the 25th. I'll be out of commission for about 4 to 6 months. I also have been getting skunked this past year. Hopefully when I recover the CRH will be improved.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Ben... I haven't bought a box of halves in about 6 years... I didn't realize they started making Kennedys again... My box had 5 re-rolled halves... NG...... the rest looks like all 2023 mint havles.. are they worth opening ??? looks like 2023 on every end that I could read ?? Waste of time ?? Thanks Ray

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Ben... I haven't bought a box of halves in about 6 years... I didn't realize they started making Kennedys again... My box had 5 re-rolled halves... NG...... the rest looks like all 2023 mint havles.. are they worth opening ??? looks like 2023 on every end that I could read ?? Waste of time ?? Thanks Ray

Since the mint doesn't distribute them in rolls as far as I know, While it is probably a waste of time I would open them as you just never know. My Kennedy Dansco collection from circulation is complete through 2023 P&D except for Silver Proofs and a couple proof years.
I just got a 1964 in 1 of my last two boxes, skunked for weeks before that. My pickup bank has stopped ordering them for me but they will call me if their coin counter fills the half bag, that is where you can do well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread