Talk about treasure, and orange cost $.89 at Walmart now...

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess you can't edit thread titles

As we speak the definition of "own" is being completely rewritten and redefined, so is the definition of "treasure."

Today at Walmart I proceeded to purchase a bag of oranges, and realized they cost $10.49.

I recall paying $3.99 for most of my life up until about six months ago

So I decided I didn't need a whole bag of oranges and proceeded to purchase just one.
It cost $.89, and at the register it dawned on me that I have 16 grown trees in my yard back home.
Every year I've been picking a few hundred oranges or so, and squeezing as much orange juice as I can possibly look at. I give the neighbors as many as they want, but most of them have their own trees. Usually about three quarters just rot.

Next year I'm going to take a week and bag them.
I can use an extra $5000 or so.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Today at Walmart I proceeded to purchase a bag of oranges, and realized they cost $10.49.

Of course,they probably come all the way from China:laughing9:Chinamart oranges.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Now on the other end of the spectrum, I just came back from fries electronics. I've been looking to replace a car stereo that no longer works, so I had a few moments to do some research today.
14 years ago I bought a new car and immediately put a $1400 stereo system in it. This particular car does not have a heck of a lot of room in its instrument console so I opted for a kind of receiver that features a touchscreen that mechanically slides out and over the console area upon activation.
In two thousand one this was alien technology and I recall it would draw crowds at night when the top was down.

So today I finally find a similar type model that allows for the same kind of mechanized sliding, slide out action that I'm looking to replace.

Today's version features Bluetooth, MP3 technology, primary noise reduction, etc... The price tag is missing, so I ask the 19-year-old sales rep how much it would cost to install it.
"$289.99 he replied, matter-of-factly," With all the experience of a 19-year-old salesman. No sooner than the words left his mouth he froze solid in front of me and waited to hear my reaction.

I thought the price for installation was rather steep but I still asked him how much the unit was out the door by itself.
"not much less" he replied.
"it basically includes installation upon purchase"
So interestingly enough, this mechanized miracle of modern day technology is $289 out the door installed.

I recall like it was yesterday paying $1400 for a Kenwood unit that didn't have a quarter of the technology that this new model has in it.
From a technological and social standpoint, it's an amazing time to be alive

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh the technology is awesome!
Plug your I pod directly into your stereo. Was never a huge fan of I tunes, but, when you own almost 5000 albums...makes sense!
You have woofers that move 2 inches, in a slim box, that fit behind the seat of a single cab pickup!
Silk dome tweeters...

Linsey

Greenie
May 13, 2014
NORTHEAST PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plug the iPod in? No need! Just use bluetooth! These are amazing times we live in.... Blows the mind..... And I'm only 33 ......

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Plug the iPod in? No need! Just use bluetooth! These are amazing times we live in.... Blows the mind..... And I'm only 33 ......

When I told the sales guy that I was replacing a $1400 car stereo he looked at me like I was from Mars and thought "yeah, right....."

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now on the other end of the spectrum, I just came back from fries electronics. I've been looking to replace a car stereo that no longer works, so I had a few moments to do some research today.
14 years ago I bought a new car and immediately put a $1400 stereo system in it. This particular car does not have a heck of a lot of room in its instrument console so I opted for a kind of receiver that features a touchscreen that mechanically slides out and over the console area upon activation.
In two thousand one this was alien technology and I recall it would draw crowds at night when the top was down.

So today I finally find a similar type model that allows for the same kind of mechanized sliding, slide out action that I'm looking to replace.

Today's version features Bluetooth, MP3 technology, primary noise reduction, etc... The price tag is missing, so I ask the 19-year-old sales rep how much it would cost to install it.
$289.99 he replied, matter-of-factly. With all the experience of a 19-year-old salesman he then froze solid in front of me and waited to hear my reaction.

I thought the price for installation was rather steep but I still asked him how much the unit was out the door by itself.
"not much less" he replied.
"it basically includes installation upon purchase"
So interestingly enough, this mechanized miracle of modern day technology is $289 out the door installed.

I recall like it was yesterday paying $1400 for a Kenwood unit that didn't have a quarter of the technology that this new model has in it.
From a technological and social standpoint, it's an amazing time to be alive

l had Radio Shack with Kricket 6X9" speackers then moved to the underdash Pioneer cassette with TSX9's surface mounts. This was early 80's and was about $300-400 for just the 3 pieces. Then it was the Sony/Blaupunk/Denon wave. Now we have Polk Audio, Bose, Carver and a whole bunch more with much better tech but some isn't so $$$ cheap. I agree, that a premium sound system is fairly reasonable cost wise for what you get now.

One can spend some $$$ for a system but at some point it's just overkill and branding ego imo..

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
l had Radio Shack with Kricket 6X9" speackers then moved to the underdash Pioneer cassette with TSX9's surface mounts. This was early 80's and was about $300-400 for just the 3 pieces. Then it was the Sony/Blaupunk/Denon wave. Now we have Polk Audio, Bose, Carver and a whole bunch more with much better tech but some isn't so $$$ cheap. I agree, that a premium sound system is fairly reasonable cost wise for what you get now.

One can spend some $$$ for a system but at some point it's just overkill and branding ego imo..

The thing I'm buying for $289 mechanically slides out of the dashboard and lights up upon activation. All the controls are touch activated right from the screen, and it ties into a GPS. Its got MP3 capability via blue tooth and accepts a portable USB drive in case you need to attach a complete library of every song ever written known to man. Thiis is important so you have something to listen to whenever you go out for ice cream.
When you are done messing with it, it slides back into the standard size receiving unit and disappears. Its just crazy...
When I was a kid, I thought that car and a stereo like the FIRST one I put in it would be all I ever wanted out of life. Ever
Apparently that wasn't true....

$1400 dollars in 2001 was A LOT of money. But to me it seems like a lot more today.
Thats because today my money is not as accessible as it was then.....

But yeah, I want the new one......

How much more bling can you possibly want in a car stereo...., and why?

Last edited:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What size bag for $10.49?

waxy luster

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can empathize with el padron - In the dinky town I escaped from, we called ourselves Children Of The Orange. Just surrounded by the damn things . . .

Orange Blossom scent is powerful - just permeates the atmosphere.

Many months after bloom, only ate what I picked off tree myself & at peak of Season & peeled them then and there - Hell, I was even Capo of HS Citrus Judging Team (we were only in it to escape school). ;)

This Winter, however, I actually had oranges someone else had picked a few days before . . . Omnomnom.

Then there were the Olives . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What size bag for $10.49?

You know, it might've been cheaper to buy them separately. It looked to me like there were about 10 or 12 in the bag.
Today I am in the Houston Texas market, not too far from where you are...

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I can empathize with el padron - In the dinky town I escaped from, we called ourselves Children Of The Orange. Just surrounded by the damn things . . .

Orange Blossom scent is powerful - just permeates the atmosphere.

Many months after bloom, only ate what I picked off tree myself & at peak of Season & peeled them then and there - Hell, I was even Capo of HS Citrus Judging Team (we were only in it to escape school). ;)

This Winter, however, I actually had oranges someone else had picked a few days before . . . Omnomnom.

Then there were the Olives . . .

Funny,
My dad was a fisherman, so it was "geez dad not red snapper again" or
"didn't we just have Florida lobster last week?"

We all have our problems, don't we?

waxy luster

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FWIW - Just purchased Navel Oranges for first time in my life. 3# Bag @ 2.49. Sunkist, of course. Peak of season isn't quite here, but sweetness is.

Lots of MUCH-needed rain has finally hit growing region, which has experienced drought for 3 years. So much so that many old trees were removed and replaced. Good riddance, El Niño!

Echoing el padron's experience with new car audio, picked up a Kenwood in 9/16. Finding one that wasn't loaded with Das Blinkenlights was tough, but @100 clams netted a good one.

Did NOT want Hi-how-are-ya-&-ya-wanna-fight-me-no-too-bad-yer-gonna-anyway Bluetooth.

CD for my Jazz, HD Radio for her Pizzazz. Aux for miniplug & USB for all things Spazz. Still nostalgic for my Pioneer KP-500 from back in the day. Glad I have it in storage - want to blow minds & ears at 50th reunion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread