1.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Hi! New to this site. I was wondering if anyone can tell me the value of any of these bone china tea cups. They belonged to my mother and I know they are at least 60 years old. I have more but thought I would only post a couple.
I’m not the guy to give advice on china. However, I’d venture to guess that the Japan set is from occupied Japan, or later (post WWII). The English pieces are bobby dazzlers, IMO. The green & white with gold trim is very nice. I picture tea being served in them before a fox hunt. Unless you prefer a beaker. Thanks for sharing!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. The Sutherland cup and saucer are rather tasteful. That particular mark is difficult to date, except to say it's a post-WWII mark. I don't recognise the pattern (there are hundreds) but nice ones in most patterns can usually be picked up over here in the UK for around $20 (equivalent).

The Japanese pieces are generic export ware from the post-war period when Japan's economy was being rebuilt. No maker mark and of very little value as collector pieces I'm afraid. Only worth what someone would pay for decorative value. There were no imports from Japan to the US between 1941-1945, for obvious reasons, and they didn't resume until the late summer of 1947. From then, the required marking was "Occupied Japan" or "Made in Occupied Japan" until 1949, at which time it was decreed that "Occupied Japan", "Made in Occupied Japan", "Made in Japan" or just "Japan" were all acceptable. That continued until 1952 when occupation ended and the requirement switched back to "Japan" or "Made in Japan".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread