Tejon Question...

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have several machines and each serves a particular purpose and some serve as multipurpose machines, but I was wanting to get a backup relic machine and found a good price on the Tesoro Tejon.

I called Tesoro and spoke with one of there techs about the unit. He stated it was a very sensitive and hot unit that is prone to chattering in mineralized soil even after attempts at ground balancing, but despite the extra chatter its a very sensitive and deep machine designed specifically for relic hunting, especially when utilizing the 11" X 8" Widescan (Double D) Coil, which shouldn't be a problem for me since I'm familiar with that type coil anyhow. He further stated that that particular coil would in fact calm down a lot of the extra chatter.

So what I'm trying to find out is, has anyone experienced extra chattering that couldn't be ground balanced out and has anyone used the 11 x 8 Widescan coil and if so how does it perform? I suppose the big question is, do you like the machine or hate it? He said that after purchasing the Tejon, they're those who loved it and those who hated it, which one are you?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just torn on whether or not to pull the trigger on this machine, because mineralization of our ground down here will change from one extreme to the next within a matter of yards if not less.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments, advice or suggestions. God Bless and HH... "D"

P.S. If there's anyone out there that hates their Tejon and wants to sell it, PM me , who knows you may have a better asking price than the one I'm looking at... LOL

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never had a problem with excess chatter in hot ground - under high power lines, and near CCTV antennas yes, but not in red clay or Arizona caliche. It is a VERY sensitive machine, and you need about 50-hours to get used to it. It's deep with the 11" x 8" and you can't go wrong with it in woods and farm fields!

Attachments

• aq4.jpg
    aq4.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never had a problem with excess chatter in hot ground - under high power lines, and near CCTV antennas yes, but not in red clay or Arizona caliche. It is a VERY sensitive machine, and you need about 50-hours to get used to it. It's deep with the 11" x 8" and you can't go wrong with it in woods and farm fields!

I had the "Shadow X-2" that Troy built when he was with Tesoro and the X-5 when he went to Fisher, this machine sounds like it's similar to each of those but hotter. I regret ever selling the X-2 or X-5 and could kick myself for doing so :BangHead:. I knew those two (2) machines inside and out, that was one of the reasons I was looking at the Tejon as a backup machine. I appreciate the positive feedback and by the way, someones's gonna take you up on the selling price, including the shipping on the "Mojave" you have posted, if they haven't already... Thanks again Terry... "D"

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I think you'd be happy with one and I'd like one myself. When I first looked at Tesoro I was interested in either the Tejon or the Vaquero but then the Outlaw came out and went for it. The 3 coil package attracted me and I'm glad I pulled the trigger. I will never ever sell it as I love it that much. I can live without my Explorer and Garrett's but not this machine. I've never experienced the Outlaw being overly sensitive or it running hot. Don't have issues around power lines with it either but I've only ever did one property that had power lines going over it.
I really want a Equinox 800 but am waiting until late winter to get that. If I didn't love the Outlaw so much I'd never be able to last until then. Tesoro's are a blast, love'em.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have not had any trouble with my Tesoro Tejon with the small or larger coils. :icon_thumleft:

Sure like the dual discrimination toggle switch. :hello2:

OP
OP
Possum

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really appreciate all the great info on the Tejon, It really convinced me to get one, however as my luck goes, I just sold enough things and had the money to buy it, but when I got home from church today, I go to my emails to contact the seller and pull the trigger, but instead there's an email from the seller of the Tejon advising me it just sold!!!

Oh well, it is what it is, hopefully another one will come along that's in as good of shape and as reasonably priced as the one I was going to buy, but until then i'll just keep on looking and hoping... Thanks again everyone for all ya help...

"D"

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know i am a little late to the party here, but im gonna give my 2 cent anyway,.... I have owned 3 different Tejons and although they varied a little, they were all SUPER relic machines in any dirt .....good or bad or in between. The Tejon is very sensitive to even the smallest of relics and also is very sensitive to the smallest of ground change. In an area where the GB may change even just slightly from one spot to the next maybe 20 yards apart you will run into some of this "chatting" from the Tejon. The Tejon is telling you to touch up your Ground Balance. This is key to keeping maxium performance out of this machine.....KEEP THE GB SET NEAR PERFECT! I tend to GB my Tejon every 25 feet or so in some areas. It is very easy to do using your index finger on the trigger switch and your thumb on the GB knob.....5-10 seconds after some practice. For my style of relic hunting i dont know of a machine that just seems so perfectly "fit" for the job as the Tejon. Give it some time like Terry said and you will fall in love with the Tejon.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know i am a little late to the party here, but im gonna give my 2 cent anyway,.... I have owned 3 different Tejons and although they varied a little, they were all SUPER relic machines in any dirt .....good or bad or in between. The Tejon is very sensitive to even the smallest of relics and also is very sensitive to the smallest of ground change. In an area where the GB may change even just slightly from one spot to the next maybe 20 yards apart you will run into some of this "chatting" from the Tejon. The Tejon is telling you to touch up your Ground Balance. This is key to keeping maxium performance out of this machine.....KEEP THE GB SET NEAR PERFECT! I tend to GB my Tejon every 25 feet or so in some areas. It is very easy to do using your index finger on the trigger switch and your thumb on the GB knob.....5-10 seconds after some practice. For my style of relic hunting i dont know of a machine that just seems so perfectly "fit" for the job as the Tejon. Give it some time like Terry said and you will fall in love with the Tejon.

Yep, mine is finicky on the GB but if you pay attention to what it needs it will reward you back. I always Ground balanced neutral and then gave a quarter turn negative to pull those deeper coins out of the farm fields. Mines been sitting in the corner lately as I'm learning my 800 by the urge to use it has become too loud to ignore! I've dug some crazy deep items with my Tejon and 10x12 coil. The 5.75 concentric is awesome in the garbage too.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is ever a detector hall of fame, the Tejon will surely be there with the other greats like the Fisher 1266 and the CZ's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread