Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been noticing a lot of new members asking about various stones, I appreciate the members that do the dirty work of setting them straight… but had me thinking we all had to learn so I thought I’d post about something I feel pretty silly about now.
I was walking a creek and found 3 pieces of bone with a v pattern of holes below a lip, after much searching of various bones I concluded they must be carved… I was excited and showed a guy that had been collecting in the area a long time and he quickly id’s them as part of an armadillo tail… I didn’t believe him and disagreed saying I googled armadillos and didn’t see any such bones… turns out as I ran into more dead armadillos as they spread north, he was dead right and I was humbled a bit… feel free to tell on yourself maybe there will be lessons in there some of us haven’t picked up yet
29B9A8F5-EA9A-40FC-8DE1-135317D2B244.jpeg

Upvote 12

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not much of a story but when I was 11 I found my 1st official artifact site. I kept every flake and chunk I found because I didn't know if they were anything or not at the time. All the round and odd shaped normal rocks (wasn't many) I threw in the river. As time went by and I started learning more I put up my definite artifacts from my "maybe " piles into Tupperware containers and waste shards, ect... into my rock gardens.

Also I learned after reading alot, seeing pictures and some other collectors wisdom; a few of those round normal looking rocks happened to be hammer stones. Back then I know that I've thrown countless of them away.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the story, thought maybe this idea could help show that members aren’t just grumpy a-holes who refuse to believe that new folks might have something, we all had to start somewhere… in the first spot I ever knew of I took home every rock too, I’d sit down and brush each one off and inspect, I had a big pile of possible artifacts that, as I learned more, I realized were 95% rocks

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started collecting I brought everything home to look at and figure out what it was. I could tell when flint was worked, but dumped any worked fragments in the flower pots and beds. Then I learned what thumbnail scrapers were, and had to excavate the flowers to re-collect my artifacts. I had one primary field that I hunted and ended up with a pretty sizable collection of scrapers.

Aurora1959

May 29, 2019
Central New York State
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought this at a yard sale during the early, ignorant years of My Obsession. I also bought a handful of those colorful souvenir arrowheads. The guy said he had a screened topsoil business and all these items had been found in his screens. He lied. I now know that this is a concretion with a fool's gold inclusion, but for years I believed it was a duck effigy.
IMG_1663.jpg
IMG_1663.jpg IMG_1664.jpg IMG_1665.jpg

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My stone “ax” that I was so sure of. I found a couple of years ago when I was new to the site. It’s not one, but learning to trust other folks judgement that have much more experience is a must for this hobby. It helped me to learn about what to look for and recently I was able to find a nice Mano just from the flat ground faces in a very popular beach.

“Stone ax”
1671199594697.jpeg

Real Mano
1671199837936.jpeg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What we all know here is that the "group" is always right! Heck yes, I have picked up my share of not-o-facts, and some of them are so spot on that I am temped to alter (just a bit) so to prove my point! I have several rocks that I can't explain but that means nothing because.. shucks... nature can do whatever she wants.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
I found a very cool disc shaped "artifact" I was sure was a pendant, pretty excited and then posted it and everyone pointed out it was just a butcher cut bone, likely from a round steak, lol.

Met a guy once and he told me he had a nice "children's axe head" he found, so I asked him to bring it the next time we met and he did it was a fossilized shell about 1 1/2" across...HA!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crinoid "beads" and rocks with natural holes.

I had hundreds of crinoid stem segments I thought were beads, and the gravel in my grandparents very long driveway was full of rocks with natural holes.
Guilty of this same thing. I still find them occasionally in the driveway pea gravel here.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crinoid "beads" and rocks with natural holes.

I had hundreds of crinoid stem segments I thought were beads, and the gravel in my grandparents very long driveway was full of rocks with natural holes.
There are examples of crinoids that were used as beads. There's a display at the Battelle Darby Creek Nature Center (SW of Columbus, Ohio) of a sizeable pile of crinoid beads found in a mound.

digi-shots

Aug 6, 2022
Virginia
I’ve got my share of Tupperware filled with “rocks”.. I think there is a hammerstone or two in the mix. I can’t bring myself to toss them… maybe even a Mano.

There was one site I searched and found some broken pottery… I would pick up every little piece I could find.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread