Testoon being cleaned, early stage pictures.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

Attachments

• DSCF0936.JPG
    DSCF0936.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCF0939.JPG
    DSCF0939.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 7

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Robert - I can't remember what the coin looked like before the cleaning process started. Maybe you could post the before and after pics together. And you could continue to add new pics as the cleaning progresses. Just a thought .....

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How are you cleaning it? Do you have a pic with the topical dirt removed? I think I like the green patina better than it's current state.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you cleaning it? Do you have a pic with the topical dirt removed? I think I like the green patina better than it's current state.

Believe it or not it's silver so it's looking more appropriate after the cleaning process has begun. Henry even stole silver from his coins lol

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No matter how ugly something can look - when rarity comes into play it's beautiful then and you have a beauty Robert! Congrats

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax

Hello Erik, I sent the coin away to be cleaned. Not sure what method is being used. I had to have it cleaned, the green (copper oxide) was obscuring a lot of the detail.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Believe it or not it's silver so it's looking more appropriate after the cleaning process has begun. Henry even stole silver from his coins lol
Can't blame Henry for this one Ahab. The coin carries the WS monogram, and the mint mark Bristolie. This shows it was minted in Bristol 1546-1547/8 Fourth coinage. The man in charge of the mint Sir William Sharington (WS), thought it would be profitable (for him) to make 12,000 counterfeit testoons. These had even less silver in them, than the official ones. When this act was discovered, all of these testoons were recalled, with good coins given in replacement. There was nothing to be gained by holding on to the counterfeit coins. That's what now makes them so rare.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Looks like you were correct early on Don. From the pictures, it does look like a Bristolie 4th issue groat.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions