The consistency of boxes of Dimes

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that is about average - your better bet (not to give away my secrets) might be to find an bank with out a machine- and ask for customer rolled coins- some people will bring in the best stuff- I found 37 dimes in one roll last month - that's not average though- but I heard a story from a cashier at a local hardware store that he found 16 rolls of silver quarters all from the same bank- so it's one way...boxes of stuff works too..good luck man.

ps. tell the banks you a coin hunter- and never sit in the lobby and search- that just makes the tellers mad. someone did this at one of my banks recently -and I heard all about it. UG! :P

Last edited:

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully others will reply with better info than I can give as I don't record any stats concerning dimes.

But from my gut, I think I an average of 1 dime per box seems about right. Strangely enough, I don't get many boxes with 1 dime in it. I either get boxes with 2 or 3 or skunks. I have had 2 boxes with 5 and one boxe with 7 (that one was fun!). Never had a 6.

While many will suggest that CWRs will produce better, be aware that some folks will cram into the roll pennies or other crap and totally undercut any value you get when you find a silver dime. I guess it's all about risk reward because CWRs sometimes pay off bigtime.

I love the ease of dumping dimes. I can just walk in and exchange and there aren't too many questions. The one I get most often is "looking for silver?" to which I reply that I'm looking for anything collectable. They still hand over the boxes. But with halves, I've had too may tellers say sure and then hand over just the clad even when I can see the silver in their tills. That will give you the red ass.

Good luck!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Over one hundred thousand dollars in dimes searched. Makes no difference boxes or mwr's. One silver per $130.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions