The emotional roller coaster that is finding a dump bank.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So most of you know I'm new and just getting set up. I already got several banks that will order for me that is no problem I get a 50/50 response at banks in this area about ordering halves and there are tons of banks so I'm good there. It's the dumping that's killing me...... In my area I have searched high and low and cannot locate a free coin machine to save my life. The only machines are cornstar. So my local branch had said while ordering that I could dump no problem without a fee I just had to wait a week they even gave me bags. So I'm sitting on 1k + in coins and I try to dump and the teller had the nerve to tell me it's gonna be 10%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
? Cornstar is cheaper than that and I'm am a customer. My wife and I have 5 bank accounts 2 credit cards and our home loan with this bank and your gonna charge me how much? ........wow, I just got out of there as quick as I could before I got angry. Didn't want to let them no I was tripping off it. I just smiled said oooook and walked out. So I'm sitting in my car going crazy thinking this is gonna cost me 100 bucks and my hobby is DONE. I called two other branches and got different fees ranging from 3% to 10% to 6 bucks per bag and 6.50 for a bag with mixed coin............finally I got a branch that said ok bring them down. I did and the lteller was super friendly and by the way super HOT! What a relief! Phew! No I just hope to god they don't cut me off which I'm sure they will. She and several other managers told me they have discretion to charge or deny what ever they want when it comes to coin exchange... That's NOT good for us. There is no corporate policy on this? This manger told me other branches don't want to do it because yep you guessed it, there to lazy to pick up the bag. But she said she didn't mind because the guards( brinks, Garda etc). Do most of the lifting anyways. Which is what I suspected but ALL of the branches that told me there were fees also told me its because THEY were also being charged a fee. so I don't know what to believe, I'm just glad I'm still in the hobby for another week , or until the next obstacle.
Any advice for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you said you live in a area with a lot of banks. Open up a couple more bank accounts and just drop off rolled coin. Like what others members said its your best bet. If you have a 1k in coins and bring 200$ of rolled coin to 5 banks your done. Its that easy, and most banks wont even look at you strange for 200$ worth of coin. rotate dump banks from week to week. There all kinds of tricks and eventually you will find a system that works for you. If you really do enjoy CRH then taking some extra time to re roll the coin should not be a problem.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy, all the problems you are posting about have been hashed over here, over and over and over and over again. The solutions are out there, the search feature is active, and despite this many members here have been kind enough to point you in the right direction. Dont always expect roses and sunshine when you come on here asking a question that has been asked a million times before. Hit the pavement, make the calls, open the accounts. No one is going to hand you anything, this is not a team sport.

You keep posting about flirting with "hot" women, and have admitted to being married. I think you have to accept that some may believe that reflects negatively on your character.

Last edited:

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh My...we are getting feisty on here! As I've said before it also takes my husband about 30 minutes to do a box of halves INCLUDIN re-rolling them. It takes me about 45-60 minutes because I've just started doing it with him & I'm still getting the hang of it. But for example, one day last week we did 5 boxes (picking up, searching, re-rolling, & dumping) in one day between the 2 of us. Re-rolling for us works out best. We've developed a system & we split the boxes up between many dump banks & we try to spread it out to where we're not dumping on them too often. It took us a long time to get our system down. There were many many months at the beginning where we didn't know what to do because all we'd here was the "F" word from the tellers after just a couple weeks previous to that they'd tell us "Oh you can bring us as much coin as you'd like." Don't give up. Start out small & work really hard to develop great professional relationships with the tellers. It's taken us probably about 1.5 years to get to the point where the tellers that order us halves know exactly what we want each week & always go above & beyond to get us our halves & save us other CWR's at the same time. Hobbies almost always take an investment & time in the beginning to really develop & perfect. I work full-time & my husband works 2 jobs but we always find time to do what we love. Make it work & keep a positive attitude =D It's no fun when you start stressing!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you pay the bank for services on your existing accts in some form or another if your going to dump on them then yes they should charge you. maybe you arent finding any silver or enough to make it worthwhile for you, if you are finding silver then surely its worth 1u% unless your just GREEDY u should change your avatar to scrooge lol what a whiner if someone was dumping some type of service on your profession illbet you would quickly come up with a fee. afterall you are dumping your culls after you profit. big diff if your just bringing in the kids piggy bank for him but obviously your profiting handsomely from the coin roll hunting,but too cheap to pay 10%.....probably dont tithe either!

Take in a box of $100.00 dollar bills and see if they charge you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a scam, if you don't want the bank as a dump, then call them out on it. Plain and simple, how you handle it is all up to the individual.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't understand re rolling the coin. Why? I would rather stab myself in the throat. I'm dealing with thousands of dollars in coin.......I have a job , no way in heck I'm rerolling. Besides that I have even had some banks tell me there was a 5% fee even if it's rolled! Maybe if your bringing in 2 or 3 rolls they let you slide. Or maybe it's different in your area.....who knows, seems like there are no rules....

Just get good at rerolling them in the rolls they come in! I've done it so often I can do it faster than most people just tearing up the rolls and throwing the coins in a box. It ain't easy being a pimp sometimes, but somebody's gotta do it

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, wow. No haters on this website.....it's cool I won't stoop down to your level. I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to figure out how things works as I've read countless threads that you all have written about ordering and dumping. Everyone else try's to avoid fees, but i should be different? Sounds more like bankroll jealousy or you just plain don't want anybody else to CRH which I could understand but then don't be on a forum if you don't want to share your info. I'm Scrooge because I don't wanna throw my money in the trash by paying fees? Ok......did I get those coins at some sort of discount when I bought them? No so it is reasonable to expect no fee exchanges. I understand why they do it but doesn't make it right. If the coins are that labor intensive the GOVRNMENT should get rid of them. Not the banks......IMO

And who is profiting? I haven't...... I found 15 bucks worth of silver that I haven't sold so really I have nothing and I've spent probably 50 in gas driving around to banks so what profit? I'm doing this for fun.......shoot if I was making money I wouldn't bat an eyelash at a 10% fee what world do you live in. I'm doing small amounts a box or two of halves a week and I've been skunked so far......

With 1 or 2 obvious exceptions, there has been very little "hating" in the replies. I know I certainly didn't mean for my reply to sound that way, and if it did, then you have my sincere apology. With that said however, in essence you asked for the impossible. You said that all the banks wanted to charge you a fee to use their coin counters and/or drop off bags, and that you did not want to reroll your dumps. But yet you ask how to avoid the fees? Thats kind of like asking how to win the lottery without buying a ticket. It can't be done. You basically have 3 options: you can pay the fees, you can reroll to avoid the fees (if that is even an option at any banks in your area), or you can quit the hobby. I say that not to "hate" on you, but just to merely state the obvious.

Banks are privately owned businesses that absolutely have the right to charge fees for anything they like. They could even charge an admission fee to walk in the door if they wanted to. You absolutely have the right to take your banking business elsewhere for any reason, or no reason at all for that matter.

There is nothing wrong with trying to avoid the fees. None of us want to pay fees. Unfortunately for you, that may not be an option in your area. One thing you might try is this: talk to some managers at banks at which you do not presently have an account. Tell them about your hobby and how much volume you expect to do, and by all means be honest. Offer to move all of your accounts (and maybe even your mortgage) to their bank if they'll provide you with free dumping privileges. Should one accept these terms, then you now have a little leverage. You can go back to "your" bank and give them the option to match the deal or lose all of your accounts. Be polite, but firm. Do not "bluff"...be prepared to follow through. If they choose not to, then immediately close all of your accounts and move them to the new bank. It might work, and it might not. You may not even find a bank that will offer free dumping privileges to gain your business. You might find one that will, only to "cut you off" a few weeks/months down the road. There are no guarantees. It still might be worth a shot though.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh My...we are getting feisty on here! As I've said before it also takes my husband about 30 minutes to do a box of halves INCLUDIN re-rolling them. It takes me about 45-60 minutes because I've just started doing it with him & I'm still getting the hang of it. But for example, one day last week we did 5 boxes (picking up, searching, re-rolling, & dumping) in one day between the 2 of us. Re-rolling for us works out best. We've developed a system & we split the boxes up between many dump banks & we try to spread it out to where we're not dumping on them too often. It took us a long time to get our system down. There were many many months at the beginning where we didn't know what to do because all we'd here was the "F" word from the tellers after just a couple weeks previous to that they'd tell us "Oh you can bring us as much coin as you'd like." Don't give up. Start out small & work really hard to develop great professional relationships with the tellers. It's taken us probably about 1.5 years to get to the point where the tellers that order us halves know exactly what we want each week & always go above & beyond to get us our halves & save us other CWR's at the same time. Hobbies almost always take an investment & time in the beginning to really develop & perfect. I work full-time & my husband works 2 jobs but we always find time to do what we love. Make it work & keep a positive attitude =D It's no fun when you start stressing!
Great advice!

Take in a box of $100.00 dollar bills and see if they charge you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a scam, if you don't want the bank as a dump, then call them out on it. Plain and simple, how you handle it is all up to the individual.
that's how I feel.

Just get good at rerolling them in the rolls they come in! I've done it so often I can do it faster than most people just tearing up the rolls and throwing the coins in a box. It ain't easy being a pimp sometimes, but somebody's gotta do it
I still don't see how this is done. The only rolls I'm getting are hard to open without ripping the roll and there machine crimped.....so not sure how that works but it would be cool to be able to reroll that quickly.

With 1 or 2 obvious exceptions, there has been very little "hating" in the replies. I know I certainly didn't mean for my reply to sound that way, and if it did, then you have my sincere apology. With that said however, in essence you asked for the impossible. You said that all the banks wanted to charge you a fee to use their coin counters and/or drop off bags, and that you did not want to reroll your dumps. But yet you ask how to avoid the fees? Thats kind of like asking how to win the lottery without buying a ticket. It can't be done. You basically have 3 options: you can pay the fees, you can reroll to avoid the fees (if that is even an option at any banks in your area), or you can quit the hobby. I say that not to "hate" on you, but just to merely state the obvious.

Banks are privately owned businesses that absolutely have the right to charge fees for anything they like. They could even charge an admission fee to walk in the door if they wanted to. You absolutely have the right to take your banking business elsewhere for any reason, or no reason at all for that matter.

There is nothing wrong with trying to avoid the fees. None of us want to pay fees. Unfortunately for you, that may not be an option in your area. One thing you might try is this: talk to some managers at banks at which you do not presently have an account. Tell them about your hobby and how much volume you expect to do, and by all means be honest. Offer to move all of your accounts (and maybe even your mortgage) to their bank if they'll provide you with free dumping privileges. Should one accept these terms, then you now have a little leverage. You can go back to "your" bank and give them the option to match the deal or lose all of your accounts. Be polite, but firm. Do not "bluff"...be prepared to follow through. If they choose not to, then immediately close all of your accounts and move them to the new bank. It might work, and it might not. You may not even find a bank that will offer free dumping privileges to gain your business. You might find one that will, only to "cut you off" a few weeks/months down the road. There are no guarantees. It still might be worth a shot though.
good advice
Easy, all the problems you are posting about have been hashed over here, over and over and over and over again. The solutions are out there, the search feature is active, and despite this many members here have been kind enough to point you in the right direction. Dont always expect roses and sunshine when you come on here asking a question that has been asked a million times before. Hit the pavement, make the calls, open the accounts. No one is going to hand you anything, this is not a team sport.

You keep posting about flirting with "hot" women, and have admitted to being married. I think you have to accept that some may believe that reflects negatively on your character.

advice?.....not so much, thanks anyway. And seriously why do you keep getting all weird about the hot bank teller comment? Big deal, loosen up. And what do you mean about I KEEP POSTING about it. I posted once and you keep bringing it up when nobody else has said anything.... Maybe u need to look in the mirror.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always planned to eventually open accounts at every bank in town. Eventually I might but I haven't done it yet because I'm still testing the waters with this stuff, seeing if it's gonna work out for me. I didn't want to open all these accounts and then find I can't dump or don't have the time. So I'm gonna go slow with the account opening. I realize this a good way to get to know the bank and there policies but I was hoping I could learn that stuff here and for the most part people have been very friendly. Some obviously think one should search all the old threads which is a valid point that is also common to every forum. But face it everybody would rather converse with someone today than just read an old thread who's info may be out of date. Every forum always has the people who complain that the same questions get asked over and over and every forum has the nice helpfull people who don't mind, remember what it was like to be new and want to help. It's nothing new. Sorry if you think I'm lazy but I use the Internet for what it was intended for quick accurate information. If my post are some how ruining your "social life" my apologies.......I wasn't trying to hurt you.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always planned to eventually open accounts at every bank in town. Eventually I might but I haven't done it yet because I'm still testing the waters with this stuff, seeing if it's gonna work out for me. I didn't want to open all these accounts and then find I can't dump or don't have the time. So I'm gonna go slow with the account opening. I realize this a good way to get to know the bank and there policies but I was hoping I could learn that stuff here and for the most part people have been very friendly. Some obviously think one should search all the old threads which is a valid point that is also common to every forum. But face it everybody would rather converse with someone today than just read an old thread who's info may be out of date. Every forum always has the people who complain that the same questions get asked over and over and every forum has the nice helpfull people who don't mind, remember what it was like to be new and want to help. It's nothing new. Sorry if you think I'm lazy but I use the Internet for what it was intended for quick accurate information. If my post are some how ruining your "social life" my apologies.......I wasn't trying to hurt you.

Good idea, take it slowly and build volume over time. I started off buying single rolls of nickels to fill books and now I hunt coins when and wherever I can. I built up my volume over a long period of time through solid relationships with banks. there are always curveballs that hit you too, like a dump bank cutting you off when you absolutely need to flip that money around for more boxes or even worse rent. the more options you have, the less these surprises will help you.

Strong fingernails, that's the key to opening the crimped rolls. drink a lot of milk, grow those suckers thick

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea, take it slowly and build volume over time. I started off buying single rolls of nickels to fill books and now I hunt coins when and wherever I can. I built up my volume over a long period of time through solid relationships with banks. there are always curveballs that hit you too, like a dump bank cutting you off when you absolutely need to flip that money around for more boxes or even worse rent. the more options you have, the less these surprises will help you.

Strong fingernails, that's the key to opening the crimped rolls. drink a lot of milk, grow those suckers thick

LoL @ the fingernails! Yeah I know I should take it slower but if you kne me you would know that it's almost impossible for me. I'm all or nothing. I get really geeked on something I do it till I've mastered it, get bored and then it's on to the next thing that tickles my fancy. Definitely one would run into a lot less problems if they took it slow. I just can't help my self:)

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
advice?.....not so much, thanks anyway. And seriously why do you keep getting all weird about the hot bank teller comment? Big deal, loosen up. And what do you mean about I KEEP POSTING about it. I posted once and you keep bringing it up when nobody else has said anything.... Maybe u need to look in the mirror.

Good luck! ;)

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't re-roll them as I have a bank with a coin machine. However I could reroll them very easily back into the rolls they come in. What I do is take an old knife and slit the roll down the side next to the edge of the V or < that is made by the paper. It will cut through the first layer of paper. Next stick the knife in the slit and cut it all the way from the top of the roll to the bottom. The roll will have a nice little opening on the side for you to be able to look at the coins. Once you look at them simply tape the cut back up. If you understood that it will be very easy to re-roll them.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't re-roll them as I have a bank with a coin machine. However I could reroll them very easily back into the rolls they come in. What I do is take an old knife and slit the roll down the side next to the edge of the V or < that is made by the paper. It will cut through the first layer of paper. Next stick the knife in the slit and cut it all the way from the top of the roll to the bottom. The roll will have a nice little opening on the side for you to be able to look at the coins. Once you look at them simply tape the cut back up. If you understood that it will be very easy to re-roll them.
At this point i still like going through the dates....I sure it will get old quick.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checked my account and my dump is no longer pending. My count was not accurate so there should be an adjustment made but looks like it only took 24hrs to release the funds into my account. No way they sent it out to be counted that fast. Well anywho, who knows but I got my money back pretty quick, and most importantly I didn't have to reroll. NowI just hope they let me keep doing it hahahaha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread