THE FAKE OR SUSPECT FINDS THREAD - Post your FAKE OR SUSPECT find pics/story here...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_1462.jpg IMG_1463.JPG Still I'm not sure if they're just crap or good crap, the weight, sizes good but was told they were copies.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And some are really obvious unless you are unfamiliar with coins. I guess they can fool some people. SAM_0498.JPG SAM_0499.JPG

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once detected a copper coin, I think it was a half cent, and I posted it as a possible gold coin, it was detected on a beach in the water and the sand brushed it and cleaned it up a nice gold color, which I never saw a copper that color, it was worn bad though. I did post in in the heading and article that it was a possible gold coin, lol.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I thought I had found a goodie. But it didn't look right at first glance, and I was right. Was beach detecting and got a large silver dollar size corroded silver "coin". Some detail on it and pulled a 1640 date off it. A Neatherland 1 dallar. Made in the 1960's out of pot metal as a set of representative coins given or sold by one of the oil companies as a promotion to show what the coins used in the American colonies looked like. Maybe next time.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am gonna make up signs for the beach that say...
"NO FAKE COINAGE OR JEWELRY ALLOWED".

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AARC,

Good luck with that...lol...with the stainless steel, tungsten, etc rings coming out real gold and silver finds might end up being a thing of the past.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half of the sterling that is gold plated ... especially new stuff from China... STICKS to mag...
I was talking with a Gold / silver dealer the other day about this...
stuff that is marked...
tests good...
but is magnetic...
So... what does he do with stuff that is marked good... tests good... but sticks...
He said he does what the rest of em do...

Gives it back.

SO... what is the moral of this little scenario ?
IF you test a .925 ANYTHING... and it tests good.
Check with mag before you count your chickens.

PS> EVEN IF the piece contains REAL stones.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Half of the sterling that is gold plated ... especially new stuff from China... STICKS to mag...
I was talking with a Gold / silver dealer the other day about this...
stuff that is marked...
tests good...
but is magnetic...
So... what does he do with stuff that is marked good... tests good... but sticks...
He said he does what the rest of em do...

Gives it back.

SO... what is the moral of this little scenario ?
IF you test a .925 ANYTHING... and it tests good.
Check with mag before you count your chickens.

PS> EVEN IF the piece contains REAL stones.

What I found interesting is when I went to the refinery and the pawn/gold buyer's would come into get the gold refined. It was a wait in line for one's turn to get processed so I could see the ingots being poured out of the crucible and the amount of dross that was hammered off. Sometimes the look of disappointment was on the face of the seller as they expected more but there was some crap in the mix, as in fake stones, jute, other alloys that were the base.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

A couple of items found today...phony as the day is long....lol.

The gold colored pendant only weighs 1 gram which is way to light for it's size and the loop is magnetic not stamp anywhere.

Then the 1966 coin from Panama that year and denomination comes in 90% silver but unfortunately also cupro nickel....you could see the copper colored layer along the edge.....it wasn't my day for a keeper it seems....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• DSC00828 (640x342).jpg
    DSC00828 (640x342).jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 64

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Some ppl need a pat on the head and show off an item they say they found and the pat comes in t.he form of a Banner post. Everyone likes to be recognized for a lucky find. I know an old guy "older than me," that always shows me his nice ring he "just found." I let him tell his story as it make him happy.:coffee2:

And some are cache hunters who can do without the pat on the back pocket from uncle. lol Frank T Chest.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread