The Good old Days ! OH the HORROR !

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a nice trip down memory lane...Thanks Jeff! 8-)

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a nice trip down memory lane...Thanks Jeff! :BangHead:
the whole thing about using your brain to think and do math, it's obviously why people today are STUPID!! relying to much on technology they don't even teach kids how to tell time or use Cursive writing in school. I personally choose not to watch much television.
ive hollered at my kid a dozen time when were in the car and she is so focused on her dumbphone and world is going by...so to fix this problem I asked her did you see the cute kitten over there? oh gosh you missed the sign for free ice cream:laughing9: ? Or a yard sale? and that usually gets her attention to put the phone down and look around at all the things you are missing.
I have seen the bumper sticker on a car referring to its anti theft for millennials because its GOSH a MANUAL transmission.
My GF will look at her phone to determine the weather before looking outside at the thermometer that is seen easily , oh the phone says its raining? :BangHead:

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
My GF will look at her phone to determine the weather before looking outside at the thermometer that is seen easily , oh the phone says its raining? :BangHead:
Hahaha reminds me of when I was in Spain heading to a market and the phone said something like 25⁰c sunny and it was raining so hard the traffic was going slower

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Life In America​

-​

This Would HORRIFY Parents Today, The Danger and Fun Of Growing Up​

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a Party Line Early on too
Eventually my Parents splurged for a single :coffee2:

Probably set then back $3.00

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chickenpox Parties Still Being Held 100 years later :coffee2:
first mention 1901
000aaa.jpg

000bbb.jpg

The Morning Call​

18 Oct 2001, Thu ·Page 36
000ccc.jpg

Past Social Norms… You Can’t Get Away With Today​

hitchhiking ! Did it since I was 15 into my 30's on Occasion.

I've even been Given rides by State police.
Once they even had someone in the back being arrested.

I've also picked up Hitchhikers into my 40's , Don't see hitchhikers at all anymore.

I've picked up Underage Girls Hitching Home from unknown Places, and went out of my way 30 Mile or so to get them safely where they wanted to be. :thumbsup:
teenage girls going who knows where ? (Boys, Partying ? all of the above & More :tongue3: )
A Future(Now Former) Miss Pennsylvania (Jennifer Eshelman ) at the Hegins Exit with her Baggage' who was heading home from College. and left off at the Exit for her Late Father .
almost got her home when we Passed him :p
a Viet Nam Vet who was going for more Alcohol for a vet Party they were having under a Bridge , I gave him a round Trip .:thumbsup:
and even a 90ish year old Possible escapee from an old folks Home :laughing9: picked him up at least Twice Maybe 3 Times.
Back then I Heard he would Walk away and Hitchhike Once every Year , apparently just to take a tour :coffee2:

Never Picked up anyone I Regretted picking up.

I Have regretted Being Picked up a Few times
only Once where I had to Jump out. after that I Carried a Knife.
The other Times It was unsafe Drivers where I was glad to be alive after. Girl who shouldn't have had a License Passing cars
on Curves, and Once a group of pot heads Possibly Drunk too.
Very Scary ride , all over the road.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember and still do quite a few of those things. Used a map to make sure my buddy and I were going to the right place to dig yesterday, a great 1740's permission. When we were there I pointed out some of the local placenames, mention the river we crossed and how Washington crossed it so many years ago, pointed to the east and said Valley Forge was over that rise about 10 miles off, etc. etc. etc. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread