the "Halo Affect"

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The how deep is to deep got me thinking. I have heard of the target in the ground giving off a Halo Affect which the detector picks up.
Sometimes i will get a faint but distinct signal. once i dig down 10" to 12" i lose the signal. but i can still pick it up using my pin pointer
at times. other times i believe there is still to much dirt between the target and the pin pointer and to much air between the target
and my machine.
Is this a possible explanation? Is there a such thing as a "Halo Affect"???

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In order to have a halo affect, there must be a target. This halo affect is the properties of the target leaching out into the surrounding soil. Depending on the time spent in the soil will determine just how far those detectable properties have have leached out from the center target. This could be several inches and out of reach of many of the current pointers. The TRX has a very good range and has aided me in finding a few of those type of targets you have described. Good luck and I hope this helped.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandflea

Greenie
Nov 27, 2012
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dectector uses radio waves simalar to sonar, what I do is mark the outside edges of signal, then working back in to the center I have found some targets are actually silent over the target, and those, depending on size, can be very deep, and have a fairly large halo, or harmonic signal. Just saying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread