The Infamous Georgia Plate

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I alluded to in a previous post, I recovered this plate along Johnston's River Line, near the trench works that made up the Atlanta defense line. Back around 89, there was some construction in that area and some relics were being found so I decided to go down and see if I could make any recoveries. I got to the site and met up with the group of relic hunters that were working the site. After talking for a little bit and looking at some of the relics that had been found that day, I asked if anybody had hunted a big patch of ivy that was on the edge of the site. Nobody had tried it as it was thick and hard to swing a coil in there. I remember saying, " well that's were the good stuff is, so I'm gonna go in there and dig me a plate" That was met with some good natured laughs and some good luck with that. I worked my way in to the thick over growth and my first signal was this plate! I yelled out I got a plate, everyone still standing around where they were, was like yeah right! I held it up out of the ivy and you should have seen them all running over! We couldn't identify it as no one had ever seen one like it but all agreed that it was very interesting. Later discussions on the ID ranged from a Georgia bus driver plate, to maybe a plate associated with the GMI. (Georgia Military Institute) Needless to say, the ivy patch got thoroughly searched that day, with several bullets and other relics recovered from there. I haven't had this plate out since then and it has only been seen by a few, so I am interested in any thoughts on its origin. From looking at the bar type belt attachment my feeling is it is post war, but the patina and the fact that the leather had rotted away except where it was against the brass tells me it has some age on it. It is thick stamped brass and quite heavy. Anyway I have rambled on enough about it, so here it is:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    722 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    697.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    677.9 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is VERY interesting.

I'm no plate Expert (cause I don't find any) well 1 & another bent in Half - Both US Box plates.
But
Looking at the attachments , my gut tells me post war but over 100 years old , even in the 29 years since you dug it , the Plate clearly shows it was buried for a decent length of time.

IMO You should get some interesting reply's.

I love it & hope you can get a good idea of it's Usage & date of Mfg.

Heck ; if you want post it on the what is it forum (as you likely know) it will get you more opinions there.

Thanks a Ton for posting this , I been wanting to see it .

P.S. I should have been digging in 1989 but at this time I was likely in Panama City Beach living the young life & drinking way to much.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread